Revox A77 for mixdown?

Mo-Kay

Dragon Soul Productions
Hello everybody...

I use a Studiomaster Sessionmix desk, I use it to mix my synths, computer etc through...

I was thinking of buying an analog 2 track to mix down to, and then transfer my mixes back into my computer for mastering, burning, whatever...

The Revox A77 seems so be quite easily available (and isn't too expensive)over here... would this be a good choice?

Mo-Kay said:
Hello everybody...

I use a Studiomaster Sessionmix desk, I use it to mix my synths, computer etc through...

I was thinking of buying an analog 2 track to mix down to, and then transfer my mixes back into my computer for mastering, burning, whatever...

The Revox A77 seems so be quite easily available (and isn't too expensive)over here... would this be a good choice?

That's what I started out doing, but I didn't go for the A77, I went for the Tascam 32.

With the Revox, you need to be sure of the following things:
* Speed.. get the HS77 if you can.. 7.5/15ips.
* Tracks.. get the 2-track stereo version. There are 4-track stereo versions as well (although the high-speed models are very rare), which you don't really want as the track width will be rather thin.
* Try to get one of the newer ones. These machines date back to the 60s, after all.

If you aren't careful, you may end up spending a lot of money to keep it working. A more modern deck would probably be a better idea. Tascam is generally a good idea, as the parts are still quite widely available.

I have also heard that the A77 doesn't have an interlock on the wind buttons, so if you switch from fast wind to play, it will do terrible things.

I just figured out that the a77 runs at 7,5"p/s....is that fast enough to get a good sound from?

Mo-Kay said:
I just figured out that the a77 runs at 7,5"p/s....is that fast enough to get a good sound from?

I think there were A77's that run on 15 ips, two track.

You might like a Studer better, an A810 or B67 cannot cost very much, I''ve got one for free.

Look at 'Marktplaats', every now and then you can find a Studer there.

Professional machines sound just better.

Han said:
I think there were A77's that run on 15 ips, two track.

You might like a Studer better, an A810 or B67 cannot cost very much, I''ve got one for free.
Professional machines sound just better.
In these parts you're talking at least £300 for an A810 on e-bay. The B67s are usually a lot cheaper, but they can be equally expensive. While that's peanuts compared to it's original price, it's more than I can justify and it doesn't come close to free.
The 15 ips, 2-track A77 is often (but not always) called the HS77.

To answer the question, I've never tried mixing to 7.5ips, but it's not something that is generally done. Usually you mix to 15ips at least (sometimes 30).
If the deck you're getting is a consumer model, it's probably not really suitable for what you're trying to do.

Now.. what would be the pitfalls of buying a B67, out of interest?
I've never found a technical description of them, so I don't know what the motor types or control systems are, nor how interchangeable the parts are with other Studer models. Production years would be useful too.

I've said it in other threads, but all of the A77's I've seen, even the ones 15 years ago (I hired a couple for a broadcasting project) were starting to look a bit tired, and the ones I've seen on eBay etc now look very tired!

If you want Revox a B77 would be a better option, if its in good condition - these were a nice deck and I remember spending two hours splicing up a really cool radio promo on one in 1993! They use newer technology (servo control etc).

I'd concur with jpmorris though and look at a Tascam 32. These are a lot newer than the A77 (date from the mid 80's, not the late 60's!) and are well supported here and by Tascam. A lot depends on your budget, based on what they've been going for on a NZ auction site I'd expect you should be able to get a good 32 for US$150-200, but I haven't been following these on eBay.

Now if you could pick up a Tascam BR-20 for a good price you'd be set. I'd swap you my 32 :D

As per Andrew's post .....

I think if you could find a good condition REVOX B77 (which would probably need some servicing to bring it up to spec) or a restored one in the 1/2 track, 7 1/2 - 15 ips then I think it'd be a winner. I think Revox is more plentiful in Europe than the TASCAM's.

~Daniel

Back