Replacing Power Supply of 110v Tascam 388 with a 240v supply

I thought i'd post a seperate chat to not confuse my other thread. I've got 2 x 388s, one on USA voltage, and one Australian. My USA voltage unit is the better one, so I want to swap it's Power Supply with the Australian one, as that's where it'll be used and i'd love to not use an external transformer anymore.

Is it as simple as swapping out the Mother PCB?

Last edited:
Yeah, i'll need to dive deeper into this. I'm no electrician, not by a long shot, but want to learn how to maintain these 388s, so if anyone knows the full detail of what i'll need to do to change the voltage, it'll be appreciated. Out of both 388s, neither is the 'international' version that has the voltage selector.

Yeah, i'll need to dive deeper into this. I'm no electrician, not by a long shot, but want to learn how to maintain these 388s, so if anyone knows the full detail of what i'll need to do to change the voltage, it'll be appreciated. Out of both 388s, neither is the 'international' version that has the voltage selector.

+1

So I'm pretty sure the plug-in power supply PCB is the same for all markets, and what you need to swap, as appropriately mentioned by sasquatch in post #2 is the main transformer and the fuse PCB...and the power cord of course or at least the plug. But that multi-tap main transformer, the heavy chunk of metal at the right rear corner of the unit is what steps down the line voltage from the wall receptacle into smaller multiple AC power outputs for the multiple regulated DC supply inputs on the power supply PCB. Those multiple outputs are the same for each market, but the input to the main transformer is what's different, so you need to swap that. And there's nothing you need to do with the "mother PCB"...you mentioned that in your first post...there are actually two mother PCBs on the 388...those are the horizontal boards that run along the the rear of the unit toward the back at the bottom with all the connectors for the plug-in boards. Don't mess with those.

Depends on the power transformer fitted to the machine, does it have one pair of wires on the primary side or two. If the former you will need to purchase a new power transformer compatible for your regional voltage, if the later you rewire the primary wiring for your region. Get an Electrical Engineer to do this job if you haven't got a clue.

▷ Dual Voltage Transformers

You also must change the power PCB fuses for use with your regional power voltage plus of course external plug, fuses & cable.

After the power supply transformer board the machine will have a rectifier circuit / PCB to supply the exact DC voltages to run the machine, this section doesn't need replacing but check the electrolytic filter caps in case they faulty from old age & need replacing.

Back