Remote Control/ high pitched sounds

Bobby Darko

Hey people,
It's been a while since i posted, but it's good to be back. As some of you may remember I run a small studio based around the Tascam 688 Midistudio (i have 3). I recently upgraded to the Tascam 238 including the rc-88 remote and a beautiful Tascam m-50 board. The thing is: i heard high pitching noises in the background when i started mixing and recording. after many hours of trouble shooting it turned out it has something to do with the RC. When i disconnect it, the sounds are gone, but I really need to use the remote with the 238, since it's a standalone deck in my rack. I cleaned the input, but the noises won't dissapear....

Can you post an example of the noises? (I'm assuming you mean noises in the signal rather than acoustic noises)

Im sorry to resurrect such an old post - but this is the only thread I can find anywhere on the internet stating the same problems that I have. My RC88 remote also causes high pitched noise on my Tascam 238 on playback which stops when the remote is unplugged. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

So the undesirable noise is coming from the RC-88 itself, or its printing to tape, or coming through the tape deck when monitoring the input?

It must be coming from the RC88 itself as it doesn't print to tape - I can play a recording and the noise will stop in real-time if the RC88 is unplugged. I've also confirmed by playing the recorded cassettes on other decks and I dont hear the high pitched noise + changing the speed of playback does not affect the pitch of the noise

Okay. If the noise is coming from the RC-88 itself, my hunch is it is a small transformer inside the unit. I have a controller for my TimeLine Micro Lynx synchronizer that makes a high pitched little squealy sound. If you are into opening stuff up you might open the case and see if there is a little transformer in there.

The remote has a processor in it powered by the 238. There are two grounds in the remote: chassis ground on pin 8 and a power supply ground on pin 5 in the cable. Lift pin 8 to isolate chassis ground from everything else in your system.

I had the came problem and I just solved it by lightly plugging in the remote to the 238. The remote works fine and the noise went away

Back