Reel to Reel setup (please help!!)

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Ok, currently I have a TASCAM 424 mkIII and I wanna jump to the REEL TO REEL machines for recording my voice and backing tracks. Total tracks needed is 3 thus a 4 tracker would be sufficient for me. I met some guy in a music store who overheard I was interested in buying a reel to reel so he said he has "contacts" and he may be able to help. He asked what I was looking for exactly. I will be calling him soon (and putting my order in ;) ). Anyway, I pretty much decided on a TASCAM. I want 1/2 inch tape, DBX, 4 channels/tracks, XLR's outs and ins and rca's outs and ins. Are there any TASCAM reel to reel machines that fit this profile ? Is this good what I'm asking for ? Also, 'cause I only have experience with a 424 mkIII, I'm wondering what else I need to make this thing a whole recording package ? I would need a mixer but what type ? Again, I'm recording vocals to backing music which is played from my cd player thusly no more than 3 tracks are taken up. Now, I know that many would recommend a "good" preamp but what If I used the onboard preamp and eq, on a mixer, to record with a shure beta 58a dynamic mic ? Would that be better quality than what I get on the 424 mkIII, even without an outboard preamp ? I just want a TOTAL recording package, and recommendations from you to surpass my 424 mkIII recordings. Nothing PRO but a lot better than the 424. (I was also contemplating getting a TASCAM 388 for an all-in-one deal but I don't know). Also, how can I make certain I'd get a good and functional machine ? What should I inspect or what questions should I ask ? It would be great if I could bring someone who knows this stuff to take a look at a couple of machines but .... Anyway, thanks to all who help me out.

Daniel

Last edited:
Dont rule out a good tascam 4 track on 1/4 inch tape like a 22-4
or model 44 I think is the number with a dbx unit they are great
machines and sound wonderful and are easy to find.
And a lot cheaper to run and replace if need be.

4-tracks kinda went out of popularity quite early for pro-use, so 1/2" ones may be quite hard to find. Many of the 1/4" reel-to-reels labeled as 4-track are also really 2 tracks in each direction, so look out for that. :)

Of course they do exist, but....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2511690457&category=15199

$2500 is pretty hefty, I think. :) (I don't think that's a completely serious price, he want's people to email him and make an offer).
But I won't even think about what it would cost to ship that thing to Canada! :eek:

And 1/4" 4-track or (might be even more common) 1/2" 8-track sounds pretty darn good. Heck my cheap Fostex 1/4" 8-track sounds great!

So 1/2" 4-track will definitely be pro, unless you can find something seriously unusual. :)

CJ, the only 1/2" 4-track made by Tascam was the ATR-60/4,...

which as I've said before, is a rarely-seen hard-to-find item. It's a big freestanding deck that requires a full size rolling rack, about the size of the MS-16.

All of last year, 2002, I only saw two ATR-60/4's, auctioned a few months apart, and it would not surprise me if it was the same deck on auction twice. The first auction closed at $500, and the second auction closed at $700, and boy-oh-boy, I only wish I had the 5-7 bills at that time, but budgetary concerns kept me from snatching up on these ATR-60/4's,... a deck which I've wanted to get a hold of for some time now. There's a compatible TASCAM dbx unit for the ATR-Series, and as I remember, was included with the two ATR-60/4's I saw last year. ;)

No doubt, like Herm says, if you go with 1/4" 4-track,...

the choices are many. In Tascam, there's the 34, 34B, 44, 40-4, 3440, and 22-4. I've probably missed a few others, that escape my mind at present. On this list, the 34B would be my choice deck.;)

Having read the entire post,...

I'll go on record as saying the 388 is a great deck, all-in-one, and a substantial step up in sound quality from the 424mkIII. I'd recommend the 388, and it won't be the first or last time.;)

Hey Reel Guy - What's your opinion of the TASCAM ATR60 1/4" 2 track as a mixdown deck? Everything I do is digital and I was thinking about sending my stereo mixdown to this deck, maybe push the levels a little for some tape compression, etc and sending it back to digital world? Would this deck fit the bill or what would you recommend? I would love to have the 1/2" 2 track but it's probably out of my meager budget.

Thanks,
DD

GREAT INFO!!!

Rather than thanking each of you individually, I wanna say to all that I really appreciate your prompt and informative replies. My hat's off to you!

~Daniel

PS: (as an aside to regebro) I'm especially gratefull that you didn't take offence on the TASCAM board a short while ago and replied to this post. Really appreciate it :)

One more question ...

Oh yeah, I did have another question .. Now, as I'm leaning toward your recommendations, and if I can't get the 388 but another 1/4" machine, what mixer should I get ? I currently have a behringer MX602A ? Would that do ?

Thanks,

Daniel

Sure it will work.
Just wondering why do you want analog system for what you are doing?

Re: No doubt, like Herm says, if you go with 1/4" 4-track,...

A Reel Person said:
the choices are many. In Tascam, there's the 34, 34B, 44, 40-4, 3440, and 22-4. I've probably missed a few others, that escape my mind at present. On this list, the 34B would be my choice deck.;)

Why would the 34B be your choice over the other ones ?

Thanks,

Daniel

You're too nice,...

Daniel, there are many, many mixers out there, and everyone here would probably recommend something different. My rec's would be as follows: Tascam M30, M308, M312 or M320, all being 4-BUSS boards. If you really want the cadillac of vintage Tascam boards, IMO, it would be the 500 Series, being the M512 & M520, both being 8-BUSS boards. [There are others, but those are my fav's]. I don't think I've ever seen an M508, but one may exist, I'm fairly sure. "What to look for" in a mixer is a bit more of a wide open question, but I'd cut to the chase and say the features of the 300 Series and/or 500 Series are "what to look for",... being at least 4-buss, 3-band EQ w/2-sweepable on the 300's and all 3-sweepable EQs on the 500 Series. The 300 Series has 4 AUX sends/rcv's, and the 500 Series has at least that, and probably more. Back to the M30,... it's a very basic, functional board, w/4-busses & 3-band EQ w/2-sweepable, a MONITOR section, and a SUBMIX section, and no dedicated AUX's, but each channel [8] and each buss [4] has an ACCESS SND>RCV patch point, which are jumpered together when not used [SND->jumper->RCV]. I have a few M30's, and despite being a very simple board, it's one of my fav's, and I'll swear by the M30. The M30 was originally designed to match up with the Tascam 34 & 38 [30 Series R/R's], and is the next-gen-model of the classic TEAC Model 3 mixer. Also, the M30/M308/M312/M320/M512/M520 all have XLR mic inputs,... [6-M30, 8, 12 & 20, respectively],... XLR inputs probably being taken for granted, but a key feature nonetheless.

DD, the ATR-60 Series was the topline analog r/r that Tascam made, just before discontinuing r/r's altogether. It's an all-pro machine, that's for sure. I don't think you can go too far wrong with an ATR-60/2, but beware, I've seen some ATR-60/2 "beaters" out there, which were auctioned away with broken reel tables, less the NAB hub adapters, and often missing the interconnect cables that go between the Rec/Repro units and the transport unit. These are special cables that are necessary for operation, and if you somehow get an ATR-60 w/out cables, TASCAM I believe would have a replacement set to sell you, as I remember at about $80/set. 1/4" NAB hub adapters are also available, for about $60/set. Some other problems you'll occasionally find, such as broken reel tables, are fixable but still less desirable. I've also seen ATR-60/2's out there in clean, ready-to-go condition, so just shop wisely & make your best bid. ATR-60's only show up on Ebay once in a while, so you'll have to be diligent about watching Ebay daily, & one may show up about every other month.

PS, DD, although the ATR-60/2 is the topline Tascam 2-track, the 32, 42, 52 and 22-2 would still get you there, each deck being a strong contender, all 1/4" half track machines. I have a 32 and can recommend that, also the 22-2 seems so economical, with 7" reel/max. The 42 and 52 would be the higher end studio decks, respectively. "Sennheiser" has just bought a 52NB, and can probably speak more to that than I can.

Good luck, y'all.;)

Last edited:
CJ, I can't comment directly on Behringer mixers.

Regarding the 34B, I'd consider this my choice out the list I quoted above, mostly because of the extra features the "B" model has over the standard 34. The 34B is 1/4"-4-track, 10.5" or 7" reels, 7.5/15ips, which is basically equivalent to the 34 [std]. The 34B goes on to feature individual Input/Output level controls, a built in MONO headphone/cue monitor, and also accepts 1/4" mono plug inputs [4] w/accompanying TRIM controls on the 1/4" ins.

What this means, basically, is the 34 [std] must be used with a mixer such as an M30 [minimum], and the 34B may be used with a mixer, or with instrument cables and/or 1/4" mic cables plugged directly to the inputs, independent of an external mixer, your choice. Accepting 1/4" inputs, TRIM, and built-in MONO headphone/cue monitor are the extra features the 34B has over the 34 [std].

The 44 is a more pro-level r/r, over and above the 30 Series. The 44 generally is bigger, heavier, and built a bit more solidly than the 30 Series, with more metal than plastic. The 44 has your standard RCA ins/outs, but the 44OB also includes XLR/balanced i/o. The 40 Series is a bit harder to find than a 30 Series deck, and is correspondingly more expensive, in most cases. [There's an exception to every rule, eh?]

I like the 22-4, as it's features closely match the 34B, except the max reel size on the 22-4 is 7",... maybe a significant consideration for some, and maybe not for others, YMMV.

Hey reel person I listened to some of your cd,s again the other
day.
Again thanks I enjoyed them, I just wish I had your dedication
to get into the studio and do something.

Good information. I thoroughly enjoy this board.

FYI, Tascam has a nice timeline on their website which outlines when their various models of gear were introduced. It doesn't however, say when models were discontinued.

You can download manuals for decks still being produced in 1998. That includes the 32 and 34B.

Support for discontinued products from any manufacturer is only going to last so long. That is something to consider. Third party parts can be incredibly expensive. I've seen pinch rollers for pro european decks selling for 150 bucks. Yikes! But you have to buy it if you need it.

The 30 series was around a long time. Parts and support probably will be as well, at reasonable cost. There are a lot of them out there at some tempting prices, even if you wanted a spare parts deck. Okay, so they only have rca connectors.

Sure CJ, no problem at all. What else would I have to talk about,...

if it weren't for analog recording? Hahahahaha.

Thanx again Herm, it's really my pleasure, and I'm glad you like them. I'm working on a followup set of discs, in case you're interested. Haha.

Thanx Trout, for the additional comment. Yes, I'm basically a 30-Series [reel] and Portastudio-person,... if you couldn't have guessed. Haha.

Catch me also on Tascambbs as "long time user",... y'all know that.;)

There's a Tascam ATR60-2 (1/4") 2 track on eBay right now. Currently at $135 and ends in about 3 hours. I emailed the guy and he has the cables but no NAB hub adapters. Appears to be a good one if anyones interested. I would go after this one but I've got to finish the studio first. Damn gear lust :D :D :D

DD

Back