reel to reel playing too fast

Maldoror

my sony reel to reel is playing a little fast. it's a tc388.
i've read about the 50hz and the 60hz settings. if that's the problem how do i change it from one to the other? or might this just be old belts?

Another project again ? :)
If the Sony been sitting a long time, probably a good service is needed.
But I don't think hz setting is the problem, take the upper cover off and check belts + linkage first.
50/60 hz is done with a different motor pulley mounted on the capstan motor.
Has a stamp on top where it says 50 or 60 + number:
rec62.JPG

yep...tied up in other business now..on hiatus from the 3440 for now.

i looked inside and everything looks pretty clean around the pulleys. in one belt i notice a VERY slight kinked spot. and then there's the one pulley assembly under the heads that i can't see.

This is just a guess, as I'm not familiar with the inner workings of your deck but one of the belts, maybe the drive belt, might be riding higher on a different groove, as the result of being stretched and this causes the speed issue. I can tell you for certain that a recorder of this age needs to have all of its rubber replaced in order for it to function correctly.

Take a look at Rolf's photo above. Where does this belt sit on YOUR recorder? On the outer or inner groove? How about on the large flywheel on the right, which attaches to the capstan shaft? Again, where is the belt riding? How tight or loose are the belts?

Last edited:
so i lubed everything and somehow it started running too slow.
i noticed the rubber wheel b/t the capstan and the flywheel was very slick...i sanded it a little and now everything is up to speed.

problem solved.

Sorry for late reply, having problems logging in here.
So you found the trouble-maker, idler-wheel linkage maybe also need some service as the pivot underneath idler get stuck sometimes and prevent correct pressure against fly-wheel and capstan-motor pulley.
A slick surface on the idler makes it slower for sure, but also if the belt /belts have a small kink, I guess the help-belt ( R-side ) is the kinked one.
Both would need to be replaced for trouble free use in the future :)

Back