Recovering 144 Cassette Tapes

I think the potential issue at hand is that some Dolby NR schemes are based on companding different frequency bands. So, if you encode something at one speed and attempt to decode it at another speed, with everything shifted an octave up or down, it's liable to end up in a different filter circuit than was intended.
I'm not sure if Dolby C or S work that way, though - 'C' is supposed to be based around two 'B' decoders, but whether they're in series, or parallel with different frequency bands I have no clue. Obviously if this is B or DBX encoded it's kind of moot anyway because they have a single band anyhow. In any case, the effects can't be that bad or you wouldn't have varispeed controls on the decks.

he would have to somehow remove the dolby after the tape was recreated at the correct speed
if there is a plug in for that dolby then he could do it after fixing the speed in the daw without a big problem

hopefully he gets a used deck that is the same and he wont have to worry about all the stuff we discussed

Man, all this is giving me a headache :)
I wouldn't even have the patience to write as much as has been written.
I think he needs to get his machine fixed or find a suitable replacement. Then do a dump into the daw.
Problem solved.
:D

Thanks everyone. Not sure what was wrong with it - except that it was physical. The cassette mechanism wouldn't work. The guy fixing it did try and source the bits needed but without success. It's academic now though, as I no longer have it. I'll continue to look for a working 144. Or a different model that plays regular tapes on four tracks and double speed. And I'll digest your comments about DAW too. Thanks again.

Right, the 144 uses Dolby B, so as long as you can get another cassette deck with that NR format and the same speed, you should be good.

Send it to a real Teac Technician and he would probably fix it. Many local shops take in units for the deposit and then do not do the job.
I do not need more work but I have repaired them in the past while at Teac and since then.
Contact me at Skywave Tape Deck Repair if you need me to work on it. I am near Chicago.

Last edited:
Send it to a real Teac Technician and he would probably fix it. Many local shops take in units for the deposit and then do not do the job.
I do not need more work but I have repaired them in the past while at Teac and since then.
Contact me at Skywave Tape Deck Repair if you need me to work on it. I am near Chicago.

He no longer has it, [MENTION=130918]skywaveTDR[/MENTION]...see post #24.

Unfortunately they get rid of equipment before correctly searching out all the options to have it repaired. Russ in New Jersey should be able to fix the unit as well as myself in Chicago area and a new guy who is in Florida named Gerhard. buying another broken down unit is not going to help much as they are all old and they all have the same failures. This will be piling up a bunch of non working products as I have seen people do. You do not need more Porta Studio Door stops.
All the Porta Studio products were from a long time ago so they will all need work. I just had a 488 Mk II picked up the other day.

Back