Recording Stereo to Tascam Portastudio 424mkiii

EarthHogg

Hi,

Im trying to record a stereo master mix onto a Tascam Portastudio 424mkiii. Im running the stereo mix into the stereo inputs 7 & 8 of the tascam using Dual 1/4 in TS jacks. When I play the DAW source into the tascam I can hear a great stereo output through my headphones from the tascam. So far so good. However I cannot for the life of me work out how to record this to tape and still keep it in stereo and not mono.

I'm really new to the portastudio so this maybe be something fairly simple, apologies! but any help as to how to select the correct audio channels, panning etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

So it is recording, yes?

If so, make sure the channels you are using to playback the stereo recording are panned hard left and hard right. It might be sounding mono because you haven't spread the 2 tracks out across the stereo field.

If that doesn't make sense, or if you're already doing that and it's not working, describe how you are playing the tracks back...are you playing them back through two channels with the source switches set to TAPE, or are you using the TAPE CUE function to monitor the tracks?

We'll getcha squared away.

If you're using inputs 7/8, it should be Assigned to L-R, then enable either (tape) tracks 1/2 or 3/4 for Rec Ready (L/R, respectively), using the Rec Function switches. Record/Play buttons pressed simultaneously starts recording.

Why use inputs 7/8 vs. 1-4?

:spank::eek:;)

Thanks loads for your replies. I've realised I obviously need to set Track 1 to Buss Left & Track 2 to Buss Right before recording.
Your right I may have actually recorded in stereo successfully but not panned the channels correctly during playback afterwards.

What I'm still a little confused about is whether I need to have the trim/pan/volume slider adjusted and set for Channels 1 and 2 while I'm recording onto the tape?

Having read your replies I'm going to have a go anyway, but I'm guessing I would need to pan Channel 1 hard left, and Channel 2 hard right before recording to spread the stereo signal?

Sorry again for my ignorance here! and thanks for the help.

If you're using inputs 7/8 and assigning with the switch to L/R, the 7/8 channels are already hard panned L/R. Whether you record to tape tracks 1/2 or 3/4 in a stereo pair is irrelevant, but during playback those tracks should be panned hard left and hard right.

If you've moved your stereo inputs to any of the inputs 1-6, then you'll have to hard pan your inputs L/R while recording to keep the original stereo spread going onto tape.

:spank::eek:;)

Thank you again for the advice, its cleared up all the queries I had about recording and then playing back the stereo audio back into my DAW. Very much appreciated!

Back