Recording sequencers with folk intruments on tape

reelconfused

I'm recording an albulm for a friend. He writes sequences with his gameboy and also plays guitar and sings. We're recording a variety of intsruments. On his previous recordings, mixes have been limited by the fact that the sequencer runs into the recording on only two tracks. I recommended we split the voices of the sequencers into seperate tracks, but he says the midi clock on the gameboy is not reliable enough to sync that up. Anyone have any suggestions?
-rc

The idea of using a gameboy is so new and freaked out to me that I have to ask if you mean "Gameboy" as in the little personal game system?

You can get a keyboard with a sequencer built into it pretty cheap I imagine, but other than that I'm lost.

Sorry
:)

I am not sure about the new colour game-boys, with the flip open lids but, the original ones used crude midi files for the sound tracks of the games.

If you wanted to convert real instrument recordings into midi information, you would need some type of automated notation software that could listen to the taped notes and convert them into midi information that would fit into the sound-font of the game-boy.

Sorry, this stuff is beyond my normal realm of recording knowledge!?

Maybe try posting your question in one of the digital forums where them one's and zero's brainiacs hang?

Cheers! :)

Minibosses

Here is a good local band with nothing but Nintendo covers. They are VERY good.

The Contra cover is amazing. If you listen long enough you will hear the level change music, then start the music from the next level. They do them ALL.

BAD ASS!

reelconfused said:
I'm recording an albulm for a friend. He writes sequences with his gameboy and also plays guitar and sings. We're recording a variety of intsruments. On his previous recordings, mixes have been limited by the fact that the sequencer runs into the recording on only two tracks. I recommended we split the voices of the sequencers into seperate tracks, but he says the midi clock on the gameboy is not reliable enough to sync that up. Anyone have any suggestions?
-rc
Use a computer.

I hope you'll post when you get something together Reel 'cus it sounds far out to me.

BTW-Did you ever get that PM from me about a 312 for sale??

:)

reelconfused said:
-rc

No. If you can't sync it, you are pretty much fucked. Unless it's mostly looped patterns, in which case you simply sample each little ditty on a sampler and the sync a proper sequencer to tape, and trigger the sampler from there.

Back