Recording from Cassette Tape to MP3

Wick

I am attempting to create MP3's from my tape collection using my sound card and CD Spin Doctor software. However, the tape player I am using only has a single line-out jack (for headphones) and a single line-in jack on my sound card. Consequentlly, when I play the MP3's they only come out one speaker. Is there a way to get this to record in stereo with only a single line-in and a single line-out? Do I need to get a tape player with 2 line-out jacks? The MP3's themselves sound fine except for the fact that they only play out of 1 speaker.

Go to your local Rat Shack and pick up a stereo mini to stereo mini patch cable. Go from your headphone out of the cassette deck to the LINE INPUT on the sound card which is a stereo input.

Thanks for the reply Track Rat. I'll try that. Is there a way to tell which type of cable I have been using to do the previous recordings? I bought it a few months back and I can't remember which type I bought.

Look at the connectors. If it's stereo it will have three divisions, a tip section, a ring section right below it and the sleeve section which will comprise the majority of the connector. If it's a mono connector there will only be the tip and sleeve. If you have a pair of hedphones that fit your cassette, compare your cable to its connector because that's a stereo connector. Your cable should look like that on both eneds.

Is there any way I can somehow modify my existing mono recordings to stereo without re-recording? Or do I have to go through and re-record what I have already done after buying the new connector cable?

I have the sound editor program on my PC, but I don't think I have sufficient memory (only 64Mb) to do a whole lot of editing.

You can make it into dual mono but if the original cassette was true stereo (discreet left and right information) you're missing one half. In which case you have to re-record.

Thanks again. You have been a BIG help. I wish I would have known about this website/bbs site sooner before I recorded half my tape collection. Now I get to go and re-record everything. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Back