RARE EXTENDER CARDS for sale: Tascam 388 & TSR-8

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
Saw these on eBay...if you have a TSR-8 or 388 and are committed/addicted to it and intend on keeping it maintained and/or want the ability to thoroughly maintain it yourself OR give a technician the ability to thoroughly maintain it for you, you really ought to consider this RARE opportunity to get the respective OEM extender card(s). An extender card allows the respective plug-in card in the machine to be fully connected to the machine but physically extended outside the machine’s chassis. It is required for certain maintenance/troubleshooting/repair procedures. They are rare, no longer in production, and a pain to try and build yourself, speaking from experience. It is highly unlikely you will see these come along again. If you think $75 starting bid is high, it’s not. That’s how rare they are. wkrbee who is a long-time contributing member here and definitive subject matter expert on, among other things, vintage Tascam analog equipment, is the Seller. We’ve not discussed any of his items for sale nor did he ask me to peddle his wares...nor did I tell him I was going to do this. I’m just offering full disclosure and my personal endorsement I wouldn’t think twice about buying something from him. He’s got other interesting bits for sale too.

Anyway, here are links to the extender cards:

TASCAM TSR-8 EXTENDER CARD FOR THE RECORD PLAY PCB. ASSY. WITH TEST POINTS | eBay

TASCAM 388 EXTENDER CARD FOR THE RECORD PLAY AND DBX PCB. | eBay

TASCAM 388 EXTENDER CARD FOR THE POWER SUPPLY, REEL TENSION, AND BIAS PCB. | eBay

I wonder what those connectors are called, I would buy them & make my own version if I could find them.

I've got a faulty TSR-8 card which I've now replaced, looks like I'd still also need a set of male connectors though?

I believe the connector type is a mini Molex but I’m not positive.

The trick is that it’s pretty complicated to get the connector spacing correct if you’re going to fab your own board, and drilling all the holes for the pins...because that’s primarily how the connectors are anchored. To avoid that you make a set of extender cables, but that’s a fair amount of soldering small wire to small pins. Been there...done that.

Tried a quick search for those connectors with no luck.

Here's the TSR8 rec/play PCB socket part list.
Plus you also need the compatible plugs.

recplpcbtascam.JPG

Are these the only two extender cards needed to maintain a 388? Thanks

The only two plugin PCBs not specifically addressed by those two 388 extender cards would be the meter amp PCB, and the balance amp PCB. Those are in front of the dbx and rec/play amp PCBs. It is possible the larger extender card that applies to the dbx and rec/play amp PCBs will also work with the meter and balance amp PCBs, but even if it doesn’t, it would be more rare to have the need to extend those cards outside the chassis, and I don’t believe there are adjustments on those cards the require extension to accomplish. In short, the two 388 extender cards listed on eBay should provide the ability to do pretty much everything you would ever need to do as far as card extension on a 388, and possibly absolutely everything.

I also see you have extender cards for the Teac 80-8 and Tascam 30-series (32, 34 and 38) for auction. Super rare...

Back