r2r trolley?

superbeatballer

I doubt there's a current manufacturer of r2r trolleys, so does anybody have one that's sitting empty? I'd love to take it off your hands. Fair 80's market value of course. :p

Hey a reel person, you must have like 47 of these. I'll shoot you an offer if you can bear to part with one.

Ha.

I have no extra rolling racks, just 2 and they're populated. I also have many table-top sitting units that beg the issue of rack ears and trolleys,... but if you've seen the eBay price of 30-Series rack ears lately,... :eek:;)

Here in Montreal, one of our electronics parts shops stocks these guys. I ended up buying four of them over the course of the last couple years (one for my 58-OB, another for the MS-16, one for the B-67 and the last one for a poor man's mixer sidecar to house my patch bays.) I think they're great, just perfect for tape decks. If you're in the US, I'm sure you'd be able to find a very similar unit.
But I should warn you that a friend of my had his Tascam 58 on one of these mixer racks stored at a some other person's place and the wheel apparently gave in and the machine tumbled to the floor (he neglected to bolt it to the rack). The jury's still out on whether a drunken buffoon sat on top of the tape deck or if it was truly a very dodgy wheel.
(For the curious: The tumbling Tascam survived the fall onto a concrete floor pretty well. There were some scratches, a takeup reel was destroyed and one of the channels doesn't work in repro mode... but other than that it's fine).

Red5 make them, and there's at least one other brand available, though the name escapes me. They are not cheap.
The A807 I bought is mounted in a flawed Red5 trolley. They recently had a bad batch of them (poor tolerances, bad paint etc) and they were selling those off at 2/3 off their normal price.

I don't know how available these things are outside of Europe, though.

Here in Montreal, one of our electronics parts shops stocks these guys.

This is exactly what I have my 58 sitting in right now. If yer on a budget, it might be worth a try. I got mine through eBay, though I know Sigler Music sells them.

Pros:

12 spaces on top and like 11 on the bottom
Casters are good quality
Price

Cons:

Thin-guage steel for members...the rack is kinda shakey with 100lbs. up top...helps when you get the lower 11 populated...
Rack rails are the square-hole type requiring the additional cost of T-nuts, plus they are a royal PITA to install compared to drilled and tapped rail
Overall build quality is made-in-China...lotsa things you gotta ignore and just be happy with...locking pin holes don't line up too well, had to straighten one of the rails...etc.

I recently picked up a Tascam CS-607 on eBay for relatively cheap that needs a couple parts. Got it in the shop now and have it assembled...totally different animal...totally It is too bad that it only has 2 spaces down below but everything else works so much better and it is much heartier. I had assumed this when I got the budget trolley, but now I know.

Okay, thanks guys. I was actually eyeballing the one Sigler music offers but wasn't sure if it was robust enough for the job. If it can handle a 58 then surely a tsr-8 won't be a problem.

It's certainly gonna make my msr-16 look prettier. :p

Attachments

• msr-16.jpg
    msr-16.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 30
Back