R Channel on Tascam 32 Out

SteveM

Just thought I'd throw this out here in case anyone had any guesses. I get a signal coming in and can monitor it in sync or input in record mode, solid red light and all, but when I switch to reproduce and go to play back I get nothing. Anybody have any guesses of what it could be?

It was an intermittent problem before. I think it's something simple. Not a user error.

I figured out, by GCalo reminding me to flip the tape, that it is the reproduce on the R channel that's not working. I also figured out the 2 tracks will play back in "sync" mode.

The sync and reproduce heads are the same with the 32 right, so it should be just as good playing back in sync. Other than that I want to fix the repro anyway is there any other problem with working like this for now?

I get the exact same problem and it's intermittent. Sync monitoring always works but repro head monitoring only gives me left channel. I play around with the volume knobs whilst switching between sync and repro and then it starts working again... still can't figure out the trick so some times I am turning the unit on and off and play around for a couple of minutes before I get it to work.

Also noticed that i cannot ever get both channels to work on repro when I have the remote plugged in.... really strange... I really don't see how the remote affects the repro head.

Also noticed that i cannot ever get both channels to work on repro when I have the remote plugged in.... really strange... I really don't see how the remote affects the repro head.

I've had that problem too. Same culprit I guess. This machine hasn't seen much use.

I got half way through mixing my mixes to CD and now the sync mode is doing the same thing. So now both sync and reproduce are doing it and I'm back trying to figure out what the problem is again. I do have another channel card if I have to try it out.

I can think of 2 things on the 32 that might cause that. Either 1) the head(s) are dirty and need a good cleaning with 91% (or better) rubbing alcohol and swab, or 2) the switching relays are sticking on that channel. I managed to switch between SYNC and REPRO a number of times to get mine to unstick, but sometimes they are stubborn. Sweetbeats, Ghost, Beck, or one of the other more experienced guys could tell you how to remedy the relay situation.

Chilljam, the 30 series decks are all jumpered/switched in regards to the remote configuration, aren't they? I wonder if there is a dip switch/jumper you could change and solve your problem. The reason I ask is when I bought my 38 from the guy, he gave me an old JVC remote and said he opened up the 38 and switched/jumpered it so it would work with that remote. Never tried it out, but figured that maybe that was a possible problem in your case. I have no idea why the remote would have anything to do with the REPRO head, but then again, stranger things have happened. :)

I've discovered if I push OR pull the channel 2 card a little the signal will come on but will not stay on. I've swapped cards and it's not the card. So now I'm thinking it's bad solder joint where the card plugs in the mother board somewhere. Or a crack in the mother board pcb. I'm going to have to take it apart unfortunately. Not looking forward to it.

Fixed the problem. It was a cold solder joint at one of the board plugs. I just had to remove the back and the plate where the rca and plugs are and then you can see all the plugs for the channel cards. I just heated up the prongs sticking up in front of the bad plug and, voila!

Either 1) the head(s) are dirty and need a good cleaning with 91% (or better) rubbing alcohol and swab, or 2) the switching relays are sticking on that channel.

Hey, off-topic but I have a question. Does the 38 use relays to switch between sync and repro monitoring?

Hey, off-topic but I have a question. Does the 38 use relays to switch between sync and repro monitoring?
Relay K103 does this, same as the '32 cards. There are some slight component differences, but they're essentially the same.
One day I'll have to try installing the spare '38 cards I have on the '32 and see what happens...

I can think of 2 things on the 32 that might cause that. Either 1) the head(s) are dirty and need a good cleaning with 91% (or better) rubbing alcohol and swab, or 2) the switching relays are sticking on that channel. I managed to switch between SYNC and REPRO a number of times to get mine to unstick, but sometimes they are stubborn. Sweetbeats, Ghost, Beck, or one of the other more experienced guys could tell you how to remedy the relay situation.

Chilljam, the 30 series decks are all jumpered/switched in regards to the remote configuration, aren't they? I wonder if there is a dip switch/jumper you could change and solve your problem. The reason I ask is when I bought my 38 from the guy, he gave me an old JVC remote and said he opened up the 38 and switched/jumpered it so it would work with that remote. Never tried it out, but figured that maybe that was a possible problem in your case. I have no idea why the remote would have anything to do with the REPRO head, but then again, stranger things have happened. :)

Good point, I was thinking of the relays as well.

Back