Quick Tascam 388 Question

migrant worker

Is it normal for FFW mode to accelerate more quickly than REW mode? (I just notice this is the case with my deck...FFW just seems to pick up speed more quickly)

If you want to try your hand at fine tuning your transport, here is a tutorial..

tascam388fusebay-1.jpg

Reel Servo Tension Roller Adjustment (courtesy of “Erockrazor”-homerecording)

The following process CAN help/cure playback, fast forward, and rewind issues on your Tascam 388. A simple adjustment to the Reel Servo trim pots can adjust how your tape machine does these functions.

Step 1: First, power on your 388. Take off top cover of 388, behind the VU meters and above the in's and out's. Do it gently as to not harm your pride and joy.

Step 2: After cover removal, find the section of 7 trim pots (see photos below). They are above the tape window in a vertical orientation.

Step 3: Press play on your tape recorder.

Step 4: While tape is in motion, find the trim pots R 112 and R 212. These are the adjusters for the Tension Rollers.

A Reel Person's suggested Tension Roller orientation.
Quote:
"The centers of the tension rollers should be even with an imaginary line that's drawn and extends from the BOTTOM EDGE of the capstan and idler rollers."
For me, my tension rollers worked best a little lower than A Reel Person's suggestion.

Step 5: Watch the adjustments made to your rollers. Try playback fast forward and rewind. Work until you find an adjustment where everything is working well.

Step 6: Feel great about yourself because; no, it's not a dead motor, no, it's not the end of your 388, and yes, you just fixed your most prized recording possession.

The beauty of this DIY fix up, is that you can't really screw up your 388 in the process if you just stick to the aforementioned process. It's all mechanical and you can fiddle until it works up to your standard. Another positive thing, is that none of this altered my play/record speed and that's the most important thing on this board!

Now go record something!!!!!!

(Further clarification below from “technoplayer “-homerecording
Erock....Thanks for chiming in.
Here are a few snapshots from the manual which may help locate the necessary trim pots.

R112 adjusts the left hand tension arm.
R212 adjusts the right hand tension arm.

Before you adjust ANYTHING>>>>>> if you can
1) use a PLASTIC flat blade scewdriver or cover a metal one with tape. This will minimize you chances of shorting something out if your hand slips. Remember you are working on equipment with power applied!!!
2) Note the position of each pot BEFORE you make any adjustment.
3) adjust SLOWLY and in small increments. No need to crank the adjustment like you are screwing it in. A very small turn ought to do it.

Tascam388TensionAdj2.jpg
photos courtesy "technoplayer"
Tascam388tensionadj1-1.jpg

Thanks Shred.... I've actually been through this protocol once (found it posted elsewhere), but I'm still noticing that the rewind function (although it works just fine) just doesn't pick up with the same kind of torque that fast forward does. Perhaps it has to do with the load on the motor as a function of the diameter of the tape on the reel... Maybe toward the end of the reel rewind would have a greater mechanical advantage or something).

Or... Maybe I'm overthinking it and I should try this procedure again.

In any case... does your REW function accelerate just as quickly as FFW?

Totally. I bought a 388 recently from a guy that hardly used it it's whole life. I think it's in about as good of shape as a 388 can be, and the rewind is definitely slower to accelerate than the FF. However, like you said, when it gets to the end of the tape rewind is significantly faster than at the beginning and FF is slower. In other words yes, torque plays into it, but if the tape is right around the half way point, the FF is faster starting than rewind. I would assume it's normal, but I'm no expert on them.... yet. Also, shedshrine, thanks for the info on transport tuning- can't wait to go try it out and learn something new about my machine!

Thanks! Good to know... My brother and I have a 2nd 388 on the way... Supposed to be mint cond.

Will check this one out too and post back.

Back