A question for revoxa77 experts

demto

As far as I can tell the A77 is now regarded as a +3dB taperecorder.

Has anyone ever tried to align the A77 to a higher reference level say +4 +5 or +6. I know you would need a +6 tape recording tape to try this but how did things work out. Can it be done or were there problems.

I would be very interested in what you have to say.

Well, I am NO expert but this>The famous Revox A77 taperecorders

Give a maximum output (at 600Ohms?*) of 2.5V and that is +10dBu there is no mention of the level at 0vu afaics?

I do recall, waaaay ago there was a series of articles in Studio Sound about modding the excellent a77 for professional inputs and outputs and one of the issues was the 1meg AUX input that was noisy. No FETS yet so just a resistor in series with a high gain bipolar amp. If I was "doing" one today I would just replace part of the input amplifiers with a balanced IC circuit using an NE5532. If you wanted a high Z in you could use a TL072 or better.

*Surprised they give that output into 600R? I was always under the impression that 77s were a bit feeble on the output side? Still, again the super bargain NE5532 could be used, one per channel as a balanced driver.

You could probably get better than original performance now with a more modern tape formulation but much depends on the record amps drive capability, the bias current available and the replay amp's headroom. I am sure Sweetbeats has the full dope?

First job, find a service manual. I saw a few whilst searching for a spec but no doubt they want you to sign up.

Dave.

Back