Question about a Yamaha MT3X

D.M.A.

Actually its more like a problem,I recently used my machine and notice that the tape speed started to slow down during the playback.I clean it twice within the past 2 days and it will play fine for the first lil bit,but after that it starts slowing down again.Does anyone have any idea on what the problem may be,cause now is the time that I really need this machine

Does the problem reproduce with a different, fresh tape?

If so, it might be a belt or a bad pinch roller assembly or an electronic problem with a motor or a circuit that controls the motor.

All of those problems are internal and are best fixed by a qualified technician so, if you truly need to use this machine quickly, get it into a shop and get an estimate.

Cheers! :)

Yeah it does it to a fresh tape too,it starts off fine but slows down.I talk to a guy and the music store here that I know and he told me to clean the pinchroller and if it still has a problem then its the motor going bad.The only problem I have with that if it is the motor is that I don't know anyone around here that can fix it.But I'm gonna clean the pinchroller tonight so hopefully that is all that it needs.Thanks though for responding,and o yeah I meant to say its a MT4X not 3X lol

I had this problem with my Akai deck many years ago. It seems that with some tapes they were tightening up as it played causing them to slow down and even kick out the auto stop. Slapping the tape helped to lossen it. I'm not sure why excessive tightness was occuring and why it would create drag. I only experienced this problem with poor tapes.

MT3x

Hi We just bought a second hand Yamaha MT3x and I wonder if you know if we can plug it into our computer and burn of the tape and also if I could get a copy of the manual from somewhere?

Mt3x

Hi,

Yamaha has, or had, a downloadable manual in its archives section. I have a copy in PDF format somewhere if you have no joy.

TTFN

prayerfire

hi! anyone tried to repair yamaha on his own? mine just broke: first the two first channels stopped working (buzzing & noises) then the display broke. I unscrewed it and looked for some blown stuff but see nothing, maybe someone had the same thing? thanks!

I have a MT3X too, and the LCD display went kaput between Xmas and New Years 2 years ago. I have not opened the unit ... hey this thing is 20 years old, no. It made it for so long
I know where the levels should be, so I guess now, not having any VU's
The primary use today (last 8 years) is a mixer to my PC Line In, and PC Line Out coming back to 5/6. A bit of this On, that Off to record, but I have been using my Zoom G7 USB out to PC for recording guitar and I can monitor through it.

The input switches for Ch.1-4 (on/off/tape) can be a bit noisy, or channel cuts out, so you need to fiddle around (jiggle it a few times) to get it to have 100% working. Spray the faders, swicthes with cleaner every so often.

Yamaha MT3X - LCD and Tape controls not working at all

Has anyone ever fixed a Yamaha MT3X?

I bought one on eBay, described as 100% working, however, upon arrival, I found that audio would pass through the mixer fine, but the LCD did not display any information, and the tape controls are totally unresponsive.

The LCD does have a faint backlight that lights up the LCD evenly all over, but the actual LCD elements never show any information. There is no counter, no level meters, nothing...

The tape deck acts as if there is no tape in there. The Play button, Record, Fast Forward, Rewind, all do nothing. No response. I have tried a Type I and Type II tape, I have sticky tape over the "Copy Protect" tabs to make sure it is record enabled.

It just seems to be broken.

I believe the "brain" of the unit is effectively totally broken. I'm not sure why. I opened it, and all cables and circuits look to be clean and secure correctly. Nothing is broken, snapped, disconnected or bent.

I would love to get it working. Does anyone have any experience with these problems, especially experience fixing them??

Any help would be mega amazing and appreciated! :)

- Murray

Yamaha MT3X woes

A year later, I'd still love to get this thing working.

I've made no progress. I could take it to a repair guy, but worried it would cost more than trying to buy another unit (although they don't seem to come up often!)...

The mixer works fine, the LCD has a backlight but displays no information, and the tape deck part is totally unresponsive.

I think there's a problem at the tape deck controls section, where you have the Play, Stop, Zero Stop, Auto Punch I/O buttons, etc, where nothing is happening there. And then the LCD wires head off from there over to the LCD. So I think the tape section is the middle man between the mixer and the LCD.

So I think everything may be fine except the tape section.

Has anyone had a four-track cassette recorder serviced for electrical problems in the past? Was the outcome positive?

I dread the idea of taking this to a service guy and having it come back $200 later as "still not working". Gah!

Cheers.

- Murray

Hi I have the same problem. Did you manage to resolve this? Cheers

I never did get it sorted out sadly!

And I couldn't bring myself to throw the beast away, so I still have it.

But it's basically just a massive paper weight!

Good luck with it!

- Murray

Back