Question About Tascam Tape/Other Recorders

nocturnalblood

So what I am wanting to know... What analog recorders (4 or 8 track) allows you record multiple tracks simultaneously? I have a Yamaha MT8X... Should I be able to record 4 tracks at once? What is the best way to add a little reverb into the drum track recordings, running a mixer through?

What about the Portastudio 424 mkIII, how many tracks can be recorded simultaneously at once? Would someone say it would be easier to work with the Tascam isntead of an MT8X? Sorry, I am a complete newb when it comes to this crap. So many questions yet I can't think of the greatest way to explain.

When recording drums into such recorders, is it best to run a mixer for multiple mics? Or when it comes to recorders like this is a mixer even necessary?

Thanks in advance...
:(

By the way, I am thinking of selling my MT8X... Either I don't know how to use it correctly or I believe the 3rd track/channel is dead. What is a decent price for a "sold as is" MT8X?

As far as I know, every single 4 track cassette deck allows you to record at least 2 tracks at a time, but most will allow you to record all 4 at one time. This includes the Tascam 424 mkIII. This 424 mkIII has 6 channels, so someone could record 6 channels (from 6 different mics) onto 4 different tracks. I only point this out because you said you are new, and wanted to make sure you understand the difference between channels and tracks.

Most of the 8 track cassette decks allow you to record up to 4 tracks at a time, but I know that the Tascam 238 and 688 are able to record on all 8 simultaneously.

I'm not familiar with any of the Yamaha recording products, so I can't comment on their ease of use. If you want to know for about how much yours would sell, I'd recommend checking out eBay.

For 4 track recording purposes I think it would be overkill to patch an external mixer into a cassette Portastudio. On a deck like the 424 you already have 6 channels. Using only 4 tracks can be pretty limiting. There are many recordists here who are able to accomplish some excellent recordings using only 4 track Portastudios, but I don't consider myself among their ranks and recommend using an 8 track recorder, which your Yamaha already is. I would make the argument, seeing as how you are just starting out, that even with a missing channel 3 (you never know, track 3 may actually still function if you re-route your mixer differently) you have 7 track with which to work, still 3 more than on a typical cassette Portastudio.

As for drum reverb, the most natural sound will come from the room. Adjusting the position of your mics can change the amount of room sound. Or, if you'd rather close mic everything, you can use an effects box to add reverb during mixdown. I believe your Yamaha can use up to two mono effects boxes at a time, which generally means two different effects; you could use reverb from one box on some tracks, and delay from another box on other tracks. An easy to use and relatively cheap multi-effect box I would recommend is the Alesis PicoVerb. I'd recommend trying to find one used on eBay, as most of the gear you purchase used you can sell back for about the same price as you paid for it when you're looking to move up to bigger and better gear.

See what you can accomplish with your MT8X, before buying other pieces that may or may not have their own problems due to their age.

-MD

Back