Question about Tascam Portastudio ("TEAC") 144

PoppedEye

Mike Love Hater
Can I plug my bass guitar directly into the inputs? I noticed the trim knobs for each track and was wondering if tweaking one would allow an impedance level for bass (or even guitar).

Thanks for any help, total novice when it comes to audio recording.

I would definitely suggest that you try to find a manual for your 144.
You should have no problem using your bass, or guitar direct.
Though,..I'm not sure about using a guitar with an active pickup, as I have never tried.

Thanks for the info, Vessel2020.

I did find a pdf copy of the manual online and while it did have a section on impedance, it didn't explicitly state whether or not guitars should be plugged directly into the inputs. It does say that if the output impedance is too high it could distort the sound and/or possibly damage the circuitry. That makes me wary of trying to plug my bass into it, but I have heard of bassists plugging directly into the mixing console before so I don't think the risk is very big. Guess it's my own fault if I fry this thing...

You should have no problem plugging a guitar or bass directly into the 144.
I have a 244 which is basically the same,but with a different eq and noise reduction.Just checked the manual and it states "This circuit will
accept the outut of electric instrument inductive pickups(guitar,electric bass) without need for a direct box or transformer,but such devices may be used if desired"
So you should have no prob.

It does say that if the output impedance is too high it could distort the sound and/or possibly damage the circuitry. That makes me wary of trying to plug my bass into it, but I have heard of bassists plugging directly into the mixing console before so I don't think the risk is very big. Guess it's my own fault if I fry this thing...

Just be careful with the trim knob,..I'm sure if you keep it down, and don't crank it,...you should be o.k.

Back