Question about the RED ZONE

AllenM

Alright so I started recording on my MS16 today :)
I recorded bass on track 3 and I guess I didn't see the meter as I was recording but now that Im playing back the tape I see the meter on track 3 going up to +3. Its not clipping or anything and I swear the bass on that track sounds off the wall. Is this a bad thing? Should I re-record the bass? I really dont want to but Im afraid I did something horribly wrong. Anyways, get back to me.

Allen

Occasional peaks into +3 on the tape without dbx noise reduction on is a pretty normal level. Even with the dbx on, that's still within decent boundary for a good sounding signal though normally dbx reference levels come out between -7 to -3 on the meters for more sustained levels.

Bottom line; if it sounds good to you and the part is well played, keep it. If you're really worried about it, you have 15 more tracks to try recording the part again and keep the better performance, then erase the other one if needed.

Cheers! :)

Yeah...+3 is not bad. With some stuff, even occasional peaks over won't be bad...but watch it with the very low frequency stuff, as very hot peaks can distort the electronics before you ever hear tape compression.

I run my 38 their sometimes without trouble. If your concerned post a sound clip on the analog thread so you can let others hear what it sounds like.

Back