Question about heads and other stuff to look for.

Outlaws

There was a website J something or other that had 2" 24 track conversion kits to 2" 8 track. I can't remember, but I think they sold new heads for machines also. Am I correct? Or did they just relap them?

Anyways...whats the deal with motors and Otari? Is it possible replace them? is it possible to buy another machine and just part it as you need?

What am I looking for when I go test this thing out that should toss some red flags?

Help me. I have 4 days +/-.

I believe you were alluding to JRF Magnetics? They do head re-lapping and sell new heads as well as other parts for many machines.

www.jrfmagnetics.com

If Otari is anything like TASCAM, motor replacement would probably be the last things to go before all the supporting circuitry that drives them and regulates their speed and logic control but, I have heard that their parts inventories are weaker then TASCAM's so, buying a second machine for parts may be a good thing to do.

As for what to look for, when buying any reel to reel machine, is to check all the functions on it, transport wise and electronics wise.

Does it rewind, fast forward, play, stop and record?

Does it record and play on all the channels?

Ask the seller how much it was used and how it was used and if they are the original owner.

Ask them what service they have had performed on it?

Ask them what type of tape formulation is the calibration set to?

Look for signs of injury like scratches and dents which will indicate how well the machine was cared for during its life.

Look at the heads and guides and lifters. Heavy or un-even flat spots are a sign of heavy use and misalignment and neglect.

If the seller seems nervous or is rushing you to act, take that as a bad sign.

Cheers! :)

Outlaws said:
There was a website J something or other that had 2" 24 track conversion kits to 2" 8 track. I can't remember, but I think they sold new heads for machines also. Am I correct? Or did they just relap them?

Anyways...whats the deal with motors and Otari? Is it possible replace them? is it possible to buy another machine and just part it as you need?

What am I looking for when I go test this thing out that should toss some red flags?

Help me. I have 4 days +/-.

The first really slick trick is when you arrive, the machine is powered up, threadded and ready to roll for you. Great. Whatever mojo vodoo the owner did to get it up and running has been done in camera. If this happens, run the machine through it's paces, rewind the tape and shut it down. Talk for a while. Then, power up, thread the tape and try it all again.

Check for a manual. These are pro-studio machines requiring a manual to align and maintain on a practically daily basis. No manual, this guy has no idea what he is doing let alone taken good care of the machine.

Check the heads and make sure that the wear is exactly centered and not "hour-glass". Ask for a head report or if it has been re-lapped (get documentation).

Go to the MARSH pro-audio site and hunt down all information relating to this machine's weak points and test them (if possible).

Know what you will be getting into - These are PRO machines and have a HUGE hunger for preventative maintainence. You will have to learn to align and fix them. New heads alone will cost six to ten times what you will pay for the machine. All the wear parts cost big $$$ and tape will put you into the poorhouse quickly. The 2" 8track kit will cost what a nice car will.

Thanks. He said its missing the Cue button on the machine, but that it works on the remote.

I will ask some othe the other stuff when I look at it.

A Reel Person said:
I'm not shittin' you. :eek:

lol

Thats fine with me. I am not paying a dime over $900. The bidding is at $750 (someone bid :() and I can't afford anymore than that at this time.

Back