Question about a 8 track r2r

ozpata

Hey guys, I have been trying to get a 8 track machine, I been offered a fostex 80 and a Tascam tsr8, I will try to take a look at them this weekend, but I have a question about the Tascam , since is a two head, can I listen to what I have recorded in track one while I am recording on track two for example?

any recommendations for a 8 track machine to look for or even a four tack, I would prefer Tascam since the comments on the Fostex 80 and r8 are a bit like they are prone to failure and most likely the machines won't have fully working leds, I am in the Poconos area (pennsylvania)

thanks for any advice that you could give.
I

Hey guys, I have been trying to get a 8 track machine, I been offered a fostex 80 and a Tascam tsr8, I will try to take a look at them this weekend, but I have a question about the Tascam , since is a two head, can I listen to what I have recorded in track one while I am recording on track two for example?

any recommendations for a 8 track machine to look for or even a four tack, I would prefer Tascam since the comments on the Fostex 80 and r8 are a bit like they are prone to failure and most likely the machines won't have fully working leds, I am in the Poconos area (pennsylvania)

thanks for any advice that you could give.
I

Yes, because it is a 2 head deck you can monitor while you are recording. Heads have been made to record and play back equally well, even Tascams 3 head decks use the same heads for monitor and Sync. Basically the advantage of 3 heads is easier alignment and you can listen to how something is being recorded in real time. I have 4 Tascam TSR-8's and like them very much.

VP

Both the M80 and TSR-8 are 2-head machines. What happens is that the audio head can switch each channel between recording or playing. So if you're only recording on track 2, you'll hear every other track playing back as well.
You'll also hear what's going in to track 2.

On a 3-head machine like the TASCAM 38, the third head can play back what's just been recorded, so you'd hear exactly what's been recorded, but about 1/15th of a second late... this is usually more use on stereo decks - you wouldn't normally use a 3-head multitrack like that because it will ruin your timing.

I've not used the model 80, but I did switch from an A8 to a TSR-8 and it was like night and day. The running costs will obviously be a bit more expensive since the TSR-8 is half-inch. I'm using an MSR-24 as well now, but the TSR-8 is still seeing regular use.

EDIT:
Double post, funny things have been happening here recently.
Yes, like how it was saying you replied before the original post... looks like that's cleared up now, though.

Ive owned both Fostex and Tascams and I generally suggest getting the deck thats in the best condition because the most noticeable difference I have found between the two is weather you prefer the sound of dolby or dbx. The Tsr is of newer vintage and should be about ten years newer than a model 80. Good luck to you whichever you choose. Im sure you can get great results from either.

thanks for the response guys, my dilemma is that for what I have read, the fostex have issues and basically once it needs repairs( is not if but when) there is not much support for it, and in the case of the leds for example , there is nothing that it can be done, in the other hand the Tascam runs in more expensive tape but it is a superior machine and more than double in price, is a better investment and I am fine with that but it seems that the Tascam is not in a very good shape.

thanks again

thanks for the response guys, my dilemma is that for what I have read, the fostex have issues and basically once it needs repairs( is not if but when) there is not much support for it, and in the case of the leds for example , there is nothing that it can be done, in the other hand the Tascam runs in more expensive tape but it is a superior machine and more than double in price, is a better investment and I am fine with that but it seems that the Tascam is not in a very good shape.

thanks again

What seems to be bad about the TSR-8's condition?

VP

Back