Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quantegy rides again???!!?!?

Thanks

Exclamation Quantegy rides again???!!?!?

Sign in to disable this ad

Thanks
    That's cool and all, but only two analog products Better than nothing I guess.

Thanks
    Itll only be 400 bucks per roll...
    I own: Tascam TSR-8
    Tascam M-1600 mixer

Thanks
    But no 456!

Thanks
    let it die... for the love of god

Thanks
    I think they died last year. Thats just some old web stuff still hanging around.

Thanks
    are you sure? i thought the page looked like this until recently:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200708060...com/index.html

I'm not sure though. That snapshot is from august (the most recent archive.org entry available)

Thanks
    If this is true then I'm pretty disappointed 'cause they're only offering 499 / GP9, which pretty much is overkill for many of our 'semi-pro' machines, which are based around the 456 / 457 / 406 / 407 formulas, basically all TASCAM, TEAC, FOSTEX and OTARI decks. The 499 / GP9 are +9 op levels and require more bias and basically the realignment of many of our decks [many decks simply can't be biased for them, unless mods are performed]. Until they bring back the +6 and +3, I'll pass.

If true, it's actually funny that the folks that run operations at Quantegy haven't learned a damn thing over the years, namely that the 'home recording' crowd is one of its biggest consumers and to decide on 499 / GP9 is a pretty stupid move. Oh well....

I actually wish that Quantegy would start up again, offering all of their most popular formulas. It would make a killing, if it would keep the overhead small. Quantegy coming back is a good idea but not with what apparently they're offering.

---

Beck Guest
    I thought it would be a matter of when, not if we saw some of the Ampex/Quantegy formulations again, but I expected another company to buy the patents. Funny no 456 maybe they sold those along with 406, etc. Or maybe well see them later.

It would be nice if they could help bring the price of tape down in general. RMGI having no competition is bad for everyone. Im not holding my breath though.

Last edited by Beck; 07-23-2008 at 23:29.

Thanks
    RMGI having no competition is bad for everyone.
    Yeah...there is ATR Magnetics, but their tape is all, like, what...+10? +11? And then you're right back to Daniel's point about the majority of the decks operating out here are built around the +3 and +6 formulations. *sigh* Its a marketing thing...more is better...rrrrite??

Like Pianodano's point in another thread, countless hits recorded on the 456 formulations...why is it no longer good enough for some? I think its one thing if you know what you're going for. That Jack Endino article was a really interesting read and supposes some legitemacy to a +9 mod for the likes of the MS-16. If I recall he cautioned about n/r and what it can do to a response curve, and then the comments about the response curve of the MS-16 at 15ips being much better placed in the spectrum than at 30ips...so you run 15ips but then, depending on the program material n/r may be in order, so the alternative is to then run higher output tape like the +9...to bias it properly a mod is needed. So in that case, I can see a good argument for it, and it has been done and with good reviews on the MS-16...and not just because it'll properly bias a +9 tape, but because the mods do other things for the response curve that sound good. And that is what Pianodano's bottom line is: how does it sound?

So, hear-hear Daniel...plenty of us in need a good-quality reasonably priced +6 (and/or +3) tape!

Thread Information