PSA for Sweetbeats/Cory

miroslav

Cosmic Cowboy
Spoke with Cory a couple of days ago via email...he was forced to evacuate his home with his family due to the Oregon fires.
At that time, his house was not in imminent danger, but the fires were getting closer, so it was a precautionary evac as I understood him...but I'm not sure how things are now...???

Like I said...he and his family was safe, but his only form of communication was his smartphone...so I'm sure he is not able to easily reply here...and I don't want to bug him too much via email, since he's possibly dealing with the whole situation...but I will try to get an update.

That said...I'm sure he will be back here at some point, so send him and his family some good wishes here, or via PM...I'm sure he would appreciate it.
Hopefully his home has not, and will not, be directly affected by the fires...but man, just living near all that must be stressful and scary.
Good luck Cory!

He sent this one picture of what the sky looked like...you can even see some ash/soot on the cars! :eek:
(I don't think he would mind me posting it here.)

OregonFireSky.jpg

I had sent him a message a few days back . Had the same concerns

I’ve been there myself. No fun.
Glad he’s ok!!!

UPDATE

Sent Cory an email two days ago...and I was getting concerned there was no response, but figured he had more important considerations....and then he replied late last night.

They are OK and waiting for the air quality to improve...expecting to return to their home tomorrow, which was not touched by the fire.

:cool: :drunk:

Hey thanks Miro and everybody. I love this.

We got back home this afternoon...we were away a total of almost two weeks. It’s been pretty weird. But YES the wildfire stalled several miles away from our town, but a number of neighboring towns were affected, some towns are completely gone...that picture Miro posted in Post #1...no filters, no tweaks...I swear on all my analog gear that is what it really looked like as I opened the garage door for the final load-out...that was just after 12:00 midday. It was eerie. Lotsa people were getting out of dodge...it was snowing ash, and at that time the fire was advancing very fast. We feel very fortunate, and very heavy for people that have suffered loss. The rains that came late last week finally brought an end to daily air quality indices routinely above 500, sometimes over 600. We got all the ash fall cleaned up and have greatly reduced the smoke smell in the house. Again, weird times. Glad to be home...thankful for family that took us in.

You know, with all the gear addiction I go through, sometimes I’ve wondered how I would respond if something like this happened...and what I always hoped is that I wouldn’t be hung up on the gear and rather focused on what really matters. I’m happy I’ve still got my gear, but even happier that, when the chips were really down, all that mattered to me was being safe with my wife and daughter, dog and two cats. My wife and I felt 100% the same way...we didn’t want to lose our home, but the importance of all the stuff paled in comparison to having each other and critical essentials. “The rest can burn.” I said to my wife.

Thanks again for the kind concern. You guys are great.

but the importance of all the stuff paled in comparison to having each other and critical essentials.

Interestingly, that's exactly how I felt in early 2019 when fires threatened us. For a couple of weeks we were engulfed in smoke. My daughter took my wife away, while I stayed and hoped the wind would change and go the other way. I had the car packed with important documents, the computer hard drives and assorted other bits and pieces. And while sorting out stuff like that, I came to the same conclusion . . . if it burns, it burns. It's only stuff.

In the end, the fire was successfully contained, and our town escaped unscathed.

I've sometimes wondered what I'd do if the house was on fire. I always picture myself fleeing with my disc back ups ~ but I bet I woudn't !

Hey, glad to hear you are safe. The change in weather too seems to have helped a lot, both fighting the fires, and with the smoke!

Just in case anybody reads this in the future and is wondering, we are back home...got most of the smoke smell eradicated...what a year, huh? Can we go back to just the murder hornets?

Hey, so we evacuated in a couple waves...the first one was the scramble, fit what you can fit that’s critical aside from your loved ones in the two cars you’re driving, then the next day, when the advance rate of the wildfire had slowed, we went back for some more things. The urgent threat to get out had relaxed a little, but the fire was still huge, totally uncontained and advancing on our town. We figured the house was still at risk, but we had some time. There was no way we were going to try and move big things like the Studer console, or the Ampex 2” machine...or the big rack with the 3M halftrack. These things just were not a priority to me...limited time and space. But I figured I did have room for my bass guitar, my brother came down and grabbed my custom drum set I built in the 90s...and I grabbed a 6U rack and loaded it with what seemed most worthy out of nearly 60U worth of equipment. I dunno. It’s weird what becomes important when you think it might all go away. If circumstances continued to threaten the house but we still had time, we were going to make a final trip to the house, and I think I would have loaded up the prototype Tascam M-__ console and called that it. Here is what I loaded in the rack:

2795C50E-0AD2-4473-B9F4-701D11B2E733.jpeg

The MOTU interface was a given...it’s my brother’s. The Quadraverb...I dunno...it was my first effects rack and I can get sounds out of it with my bass I can’t find anywhere else. And some of the effects do some crazy stuff for dub style music if you purposely put the effect in a feedback loop. The CRL units...I dunno...hard to find, neat multiband dynamics/EQ processors...pre Orban stuff designed by Bob himself...proprietary VCAs, blahblahblah...and they look cool. And the Tascam reverb. Here again, I dunno...rare, mine is minty, it’s no AKG BX25...but I’ll never afford one of those anyway, and I like how the Tascam sounds...and it’s been with me for a long time. I’ve got a lot of treasures, but when most of it is just too big and heavy, or there’s just too much volume, I was thinking about what was less replaceable, sentimental, and useful if I had nothing but my laptop and an interface left and I still wanted to make music and have some outboard stuff.

What would you take?

Back