Protools sync with Otari using Motu Midi Xpress XT Issue

AllenM

Hello, I wanted to bring this issue up that I am having with the Midi Xpress XT.
I have successfully synced up my Tape machine as master and protools as a slave. The only issue I am having is when protools hears the sync tone is starts playback at approximate 3 bars instead of bar 1. This is an issue especially when I have drum machines that start when protools starts so its causing a delay in the drum machine playback. Does anyone know a way around this ? Any help is appreciated! Thanks

There is but, as far as I know, it's fixed to bars and beats at the session tempo.
I don't think you can do a preroll in mins:secs or samples.

Devices always take a bit of time to sync up so it is standard practice to allow 10 seconds of code before the start of your song. If you start the code at the same time as you start the song your synchroniser take a little time to recognise the code and your DAW will choose a start time a few seconds ahead in order to give it time to sync up. It is also standard practice to start the code at 1:00:00:00 or 10:00:00:00. So set the start point in Protools to 1:00:10:00 and you'll probably be OK.

Can you set your drum machine to use Midi Timecode? If so, you could probably sync it to the timecode from the synchroniser which would mean that you don't need to start from the beginning every time.

Back