Problems premixing inputs in external unit prior to recording with Tascam 488 MKII

Pwhite

That title might not make any sense, but let me try to explain my dilemma. I have a Tascam 488 MKII and want to record my group. I am recording guitar on track 1 and bass on 2. No problems there.

Since I want to capture the drums clearer, my plan was to run 4 mics to the drums and into my PA console, pan 2 channels left, 2 right, and then run the master output, which is split in stereo, into channels 3 and 4 of the Tascam. My PA is a Macki Micro Series 1202 that then runs to a QSC GX5 preamp. I've tried running this with and without the preamp, as well as with and without the tascam's phantom power. Guitar and bass of course record (simply SM57s right into the Tascam), however I do not get anything for tracks 3 and 4. The Macki mixers levels react as they should, as well as the preamp's: the Tascam just simply seems to not be picking them up.

I am sure of my wiring, and have tried different cables. Any help would be greatly appreciated and please let me know if any of this is unclear.

PWhite

That's QSC GX5 power amp of course.
What outs are you using out of the 1202 to feed the recorder? Ought to be pretty straight forward.
Recorder's phantom power would not be relevant (nor appropriate) for it's inputs looking to be fed by the line level outputs from the mixer.

Yeah. Ditto that. No phantom power needed and wouldn't have an effect anyway since your outputs from the Mackie are line-level, and the phantom wouldn't effect line-level inputs, and the phantom on the 488mkII is only on inputs 1&2 anyway.

The QSC shouldn't be in the picture.

Like mixsit is indicating, the outputs of the Mackie should be hooked up directly to the inputs of the 488mkII. 1/4" TS cables from the main outputs of the Mackie to the line-level inputs 3&4 on the 488mkII.

Haven't had the time to be alone with the Tascam since I posted, but wanted to thank you guys for responding. I will just cut the QSC out of the picture and post my results, hopefully not further questions, later next week. Thanks again.

Back