Problem with the Tascam porta02 - buzz issue

IronWine

Greetings

I use the porta02 on my studio, mainly as a sketchbook for various demos.

But the last week i have been recording this local band for 4 days using primarily the porta 02 .during the last day, re-recording bass track, i noticed some buzzing issue i never encountered before. I thought it was the bass player's cheapo guitar that giving out that buzz , so we went straight into daw.

Today i started recording my own demo and whoop that buzz sound still persist - audio sample is attached.

I've went thru pretty much the whole chain - changing cables, channels,mics - the buzz remains.

It is very noticeable while monitoring input signal (without recording), less noticeable while tracking and then when monitoring the recorded material it is noticeable again.

View attachment PORTA02 buzz.mp3

Has anyone got any clue what might be the source of the problem?

Someone's edging outside my window right now, so I can't hear the buzz even with headphones on.

Is it happening on ever track?

I can clearly hear the static buzz. NO idea what could be causing it, tho. At first I thought it was primarily in the right channel, but I split the channels in Reaper and can hear it on the guitar track as well although it seems to be a lower level. The two channels aren't showing the static in the same places from what I could tell.

Does it show up if you don't have a mic plugged in? Does it change volume depending on the gain setting on the Scarlett? That might help isolate the source of the noise.

I can clearly hear the static buzz. NO idea what could be causing it, tho. At first I thought it was primarily in the right channel, but I split the channels in Reaper and can hear it on the guitar track as well although it seems to be a lower level. The two channels aren't showing the static in the same places from what I could tell.

Does it show up if you don't have a mic plugged in? Does it change volume depending on the gain setting on the Scarlett? That might help isolate the source of the noise.

Yup, i also noticed that the right channel (or, the channel not being used for recording) is more buzzy, but it is also noticeable on the left channel.

it does not show up without any signal connected . but it's buzzing either way - via the mixer or simply mic into porta02. it seems to be more responsive to certain notes on the guitar (for example A and D), less to vocals, more the bass guitar..

That's with nothing connected to the it's lines out. so it's less likely to be coming from any other peace of gear - either the mixer or the audio interface.

Back