Posting songs and recording examples

analogkid

I Bleed Analog!
One of the neatest things I have seen on these forums is people posting their recordings for everyone to hear. One of the lamest things, in my not so humble opinion, is that they are almost ALWAYS in mp3 format. MP3 sucks - it compresses and destroys the low frequency signal, and distorts the high end as well. What is oddly amusing to me is that this is the ANALOG forum! MP3 and AAC crap don't really belong here, since they are a perfect example of just how bad digital CAN be.

My suggestion - and that is all it is of course - is that if you are posting examples here do so in .wav format - still digital but uncompressed and un-butchered. I personally favor FLAC - that is Free lossless Audio Codec to those unfamiliar with it - but I recognize that most people won't take the trouble to use that format.

I will now hand the soapbox back to Sweetbeats or whoever has the next rant :D

AK

So who is up for making copies of their stuff and distributing it via cassette or reel?:D That will keep it in the true analog fashion.:p

So who is up for making copies of their stuff and distributing it via cassette or reel? That will keep it in the true analog fashion.

That was my first thought but I know I can't keep up with that, but that's how it used to be done, yah?

MP3 and AAC crap...

I agree...much of it is nearly unbearable for me to listen to anymore though I do a lot of work with it when working on a project with artist remotely (did an entire full-length CD with an artist in a different state. We never actually physically saw each other for the 9-month duration of the project...raw tracks were transferred in native .wav of course, but drafts were all sent .wma). I must say though that .aac or .wma sound way better bit-rate to bit-rate than mp3.

There is another option though more cumbersome and that would be (for those of us that have such hardware) to share files in 24-bit rather than 16 and in a higher sampling frequency...still all digital-ey but eons away from a 128kbit mp3...:eek:

Stoopid OCD rant out...

I've been thinking

this exact thing for some time now. We should be sending cassettes out, maybe a revival of the cassette culture of the late 70's and 80's!!:D

Put a mailing list together and we can either A) send cassettes to all interested, or B) send one cassette (or two) through the mailing list and everyone can make copies if they wish.

Just an idea.:D

I never liked cassettes much, but the idea of higher quality examples is a good one. The only problem is the vast amount of space the things take up. Where would you host a bunch of FLAC files?

Back