Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

I put a couple more on my Soundclick.

This one I recorded on my Tascam 38.. BUT I never finished it and the only version I have was this and was taken off a cassette tape. So there is a lot of hissss....
I sort of gave up working on it because it was going the way I wanted it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=794987&songID=8225333

This is a cool tune Steve! Man ... I think you were meant for another time ... like the 60s! This has a very cool, laid-back, kind of "If You're Going to San Francisco" kind of feeling to it. I agree that the song definitely deserves a completed treatment. :)

This is a cool tune Steve! Man ... I think you were meant for another time ... like the 60s! This has a very cool, laid-back, kind of "If You're Going to San Francisco" kind of feeling to it. I agree that the song definitely deserves a completed treatment. :)

Thanks! I KNOW I was meant for another time. :D I think the seventies.

Ok guys. This recording was done today on my 38. It's just a rehearsal take and will be completely redone. I re calibrated my DBX 150 NR units and now notice I need to recheck my work because the instrumentals are compressed to hard and can be heard as it compresses. Next the analog sound is fine until I convert to MP3 at 128K The sound goes to absolute rubbish. It sounds like the vocals are phasing and the over all sound is diminished. I'm using Audacity for conversion and don't know if I can go at a higher bit rate. Anyway I wrote this to give my wife on her birthday in November. Like I said it's not done. It was just recorded to hear what it sounded like. The structure will stay about the same. Let me know what you think of the song in general. BTW since I can't sing it's my lead singer from the band.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=997040&songID=8239588

I wouldn't change anything about the arrangement. Except that last crash at the end, maybe tweak it a little. I think it's well structured and a good song. BUT the sounds are really harsh. I'm not sure why but it's very, very tinny in my cans. It seems you already know this. I think the singer voice fits well with the style too and he does a good job singing it.

Ok guys. This recording was done today on my 38. It's just a rehearsal take and will be completely redone. I re calibrated my DBX 150 NR units and now notice I need to recheck my work because the instrumentals are compressed to hard and can be heard as it compresses. Next the analog sound is fine until I convert to MP3 at 128K The sound goes to absolute rubbish. It sounds like the vocals are phasing and the over all sound is diminished. I'm using Audacity for conversion and don't know if I can go at a higher bit rate. Anyway I wrote this to give my wife on her birthday in November. Like I said it's not done. It was just recorded to hear what it sounded like. The structure will stay about the same. Let me know what you think of the song in general. BTW since I can't sing it's my lead singer from the band.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=997040&songID=8239588

Thanks for the comments Steve. I wish I could explain the harshness of the sound. Some of it is not having proper monitors. But the worst part about the process is the MP3 conversion. It sounds fine before converting. I'll keep working on it anyway. I'll post the final version when it's done. Thanks again.

More,... you ask???

244 Demo 1983 Be My Wife / David Bowie

244 Demo II 1983 Come On / Buddy Holly - Rolling Stones Version

244 Demo 1984 Breaking Glass / David Bowie

424mkII Demo 08/14/97~11/99 (1-7/8ips - Stereo - NO NR) I Feel Fine / The Beatles

424mkII Demo 11/28/00 (3-3/4ips Stereo) Norwegian Wood / The Beatles

Live-to-Stereo onto Standard Cassette Demo 12/08/90 Rock Candy - Montrose

424mkII Demo 04/25/01 (3-3/4ips - Mono) Pinhead / The Ramones

424mkII Demo 05/09/01 (1-7/8ips - Mono) Judy is a Punk / The Ramones

424mkII Demo 05/13/01 (3-3/4ips - Mono) Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World / The Ramones

424mkIII Demo 02/10/07 (3-3/4ips - Stereo) He's Gonna Kill That Girl / The Ramones

38 Demo 02/05/00 Apple Scruffs - George Harrison

38 Demo II 02/05/00 I'll Be Back / The Beatles

38 Demo III 02/05/00 Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth) - George Harrison
:eek:;)

Last edited:
Here's a couple we did in the mid nineties. Same band, similar circumstances, different kit. The band was called Trash and are personal favorites of mine. Trash were a three piece with drums, two guitars and no bass.

This first track (Steamroller) was from an album made on my first analog system which was a Tascam TSR-8 and a Soundtracs 16-8-16 like this;

20960d1149986773-soundtracs-16816-sountracs-16816.jpg

It may have been mastered to tape, can't remember.

I think it was all cheap dynamics for mikes, some 57's & 58's and some AT's. I know I didn't have any condensers and I didn't have any outboard kit at that time. It was recorded in the warehouse building that a couple of the band guys lived in at the time.

http://www.mp3.com.au/Forms/MediaView.aspx?MediaId=137571

This one (Glider to Sam) was recorded a year later when we'd upgraded to a Tascam MSR-16, a Mackie 32-8 buss and a Tascam DA-30 DAT. We'd got a few more mikes (couple of C414B-ULS's) and a bit of outboard by then. I can't remember what we actually used on the session though. It was recorded in an old disused basement restaurant.

http://www.mp3.com.au/Forms/MediaView.aspx?MediaId=137572

:)

Last edited:
I liked Glider to Sam better then the first one. How did you get the phone emulation? Is their such a thing to buy cheap?

244 Demo 1983 Be My Wife / David Bowie

244 Demo 1984 Breaking Glass / David Bowie

424mkII Demo 08/14/97~11/99 (1-7/8ips - Stereo - NO NR) I Feel Fine / The Beatles

424mkII Demo 11/28/00 (3-3/4ips Stereo) Norwegian Wood / The Beatles

Live-to-Stereo onto Standard Cassette Demo 12/08/90 Rock Candy - Montrose

424mkII Demo 04/25/01 (3-3/4ips - Mono) Pinhead / The Ramones

424mkII Demo 05/09/01 (1-7/8ips - Mono) Judy is a Punk / The Ramones

424mkII Demo 05/13/01 (3-3/4ips - Mono) Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World / The Ramones

424mkIII Demo 02/10/07 (3-3/4ips - Stereo) He's Gonna Kill That Girl / The Ramones

38 Demo 02/05/00 Apple Scruffs - George Harrison

38 Demo II 02/05/00 I'll Be Back / The Beatles

:eek:;)

I think I liked I Feel Fine the best out of this batch. Good stuff. Over the weekend I'll see if I cant find some old stuff my brother and I did on my old Teac X-7R 1/4" track

Hey jedblue, how do you convert your tracks to MP3? Mine sounds like crap when I convert but yours sounds just fine. Can you offer some advice? Thanks man.

Hey jedblue, how do you convert your tracks to MP3? Mine sounds like crap when I convert but yours sounds just fine. Can you offer some advice? Thanks man.

Hey Dodge, I suck them into Creative Labs Wavestudio (which came with a Soundblaster thingo I've got on my laptop) as 44.1khz / 16 bit .wav files then save them off as 320 kBits/s 44.1 kHz .mp3's. Then I upload them to www.mp3.com.au. At 128 kBits/s they don't sound too good.

It looks like you can download Wavestudio from here...

http://nomoregoatsoup.wordpress.com/2008/07/28/creative-wavestudio-wavestd_pcapp_lb_7_10_24exe/

OK. Here's a couple for the heap. These two demos were made in July 2009 and I finally got around to converting them to digital.

Both make extensive use of loops. The looping was done on my TASCAM 34b, the tape echo was done on my old Akai home stereo open reel machine (may it rest in peace), and the tracking was done on my TASCAM 48-OB.

These were done as demos - mind you - but I really enjoy how they turned out.

First: Maudlin Memento

Second: Proud Sponsors

Yay! I'm happy to finally post something substantial here.

Here's a "jingle"/voice over advertisement that I did in about 1975/6 or so. I'm one of the voices, I'll let you guys guess as to which one. ;) This was written in about 10 minutes or so and recorded in two takes if I recall correctly (one practice and one fer real). The background music is a loop that I made of one of the bands in the ad. This is the only time that I was on the air in relation to music, and, of course, someone had to pay for me to be there. Sounds like payola to me, but it was just an advertising fee. I love it, $2.50 for 4 bands and music all day. :)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=818206&songID=8250224

"Wildfire" by Michael Murphy. I'm only going to leave this up a couple of days because I'm chicken. I was hired by the radio station that brought him to town to record the show for playback on the station. I took a split off the sound reinfocement board for most of what you hear. The split ran into the console that I was using and then into my 80-8 (with DBX). The tape was then taken into the studio and mixed there. I was sitting in the same room (a large night club) with the band, so I really couldn't tell what I was getting on tape. I pretty much just flew with the meters. :eek: The tape ran on the station a couple of days after the show. This song hit #1 in 1975. I believe the concert was about '76 or '77

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=818206&songID=8250330

OK. Here's a couple for the heap. These two demos were made in July 2009 and I finally got around to converting them to digital.

Both make extensive use of loops. The looping was done on my TASCAM 34b, the tape echo was done on my old Akai home stereo open reel machine (may it rest in peace), and the tracking was done on my TASCAM 48-OB.

These were done as demos - mind you - but I really enjoy how they turned out.

First: Maudlin Memento

Second: Proud Sponsors

Yay! I'm happy to finally post something substantial here.

I like them. On the second one is their someone talking in the background that was speed up? If so, what are they saying. I like that one the best.

That was a good sounding song for a live recording Richard. Sorry to say I don't know the song tho.

Thanks, Dodge. Obviously you are a youngster and the song was before your time. ;) He had a few hits back then, this being his biggest, going to #1 on the pop charts (actually, #3 on Billboard and #1 on a couple of others). He's best known for doing "Cowboy songs". I recorded the whole performance that night, about 1.5 hours or so. About 45 minutes was used on the radio, mostly his hits.

"Wildfire" by Michael Murphy. I'm only going to leave this up a couple of days because I'm chicken. I was hired by the radio station that brought him to town to record the show for playback on the station. I took a split off the sound reinfocement board for most of what you hear. The split ran into the console that I was using and then into my 80-8 (with DBX). The tape was then taken into the studio and mixed there. I was sitting in the same room (a large night club) with the band, so I really couldn't tell what I was getting on tape. I pretty much just flew with the meters. :eek: The tape ran on the station a couple of days after the show. This song hit #1 in 1975. I believe the concert was about '76 or '77

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=818206&songID=8250330

The 80-8 eh? Sounds great. I think I'd go with one of those if I ever wanted to get another 1/2" 8 track.

Back