Page 3 of 129 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    It's the third rehearsal and was messed up by not knowing the song.
    Sounds like you had fun though. Not a bad start. Keep at it. Sounds like there was a fair amount of clipping on an input stage somewhere. Watch those meters and clip indicators.

At least you were brave enough to post a song.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jedblue View Post
    Seeing as we've been talking about this, and seeing as I've just stumbled out of another Lonely Few live to two track recording session here is one of the results.

Fast Food - a song about how the industry has our best interests at heart...

G
    I just noticed this posted in the initial post. Once it gets rolling it sounds like something that could have come from The Doors back in the old days. Do a little bit of Jim Morrison vocals on there. What did you use to process the vocal?

Edit... ah, I see an analog megaphone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    Sounds like you had fun though. Not a bad start. Keep at it. Sounds like there was a fair amount of clipping on an input stage somewhere. Watch those meters and clip indicators.

At least you were brave enough to post a song.
    Thanks for the remarks. Yes it is clipping really bad. For some reason the rhythm guitar player decided to turn his amp up in the middle of the song. That's the worst clipping part. Since he is no longer with us we should no longer have that kind of thing going on. For some reason when I put it through the software I had the levels up to far. I'll pay more attention next time.

Thanks
    cool stuff, guys ... Richard King, i really like the sounds and photos from your old studio, particularly the brown color of everything ... looks like my house. i too use an 80-8. here are some recordings from one of my group's first album:

http://sutros.com/magichero

more songs on myspace but the sound quality is bad there:

http://www.myspace.com/magicherovsrockpeople

all-tape recording and mixing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewhitefly View Post
    i too use an 80-8. here are some recordings from one of my group's first album:
    http://sutros.com/magichero
    Oh, I rather liked those. I might be interested in a copy of the album if it's still available and if international postage isn't too much of a problem.

Now for something quite different.

Return of Dark Pegasus - introduction

This is the opening of an internet radio play I've been working on. The voices were originally assembled digitally using Audacity (yes, I'm really going to be able to track the voices in analogue when the actors are on different continents).
    The music was tracked to a TSR-8, mixed to an A807 and then bounced back onto another tape, with the voices assembled around it. Scenes in the play which use music were either done this way, or in some cases the music was written later and overdubbed after the voice track was assembled.

The final multitrack of the play was mixed back down to the A807 and the gaps between scenes edited out of the master by razorblade. I haven't yet looked at mastering it (compressing the hell out of things can actually be a good strategy for spoken-work stuff).

Thanks
    thanks! - still available, shipping internationally is only $2 - email me and i'll get one out to you

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmorris View Post
    Oh, I rather liked those. I might be interested in a copy of the album if it's still available and if international postage isn't too much of a problem.

Now for something quite different.

Return of Dark Pegasus - introduction

This is the opening of an internet radio play I've been working on. The voices were originally assembled digitally using Audacity (yes, I'm really going to be able to track the voices in analogue when the actors are on different continents).
    The music was tracked to a TSR-8, mixed to an A807 and then bounced back onto another tape, with the voices assembled around it. Scenes in the play which use music were either done this way, or in some cases the music was written later and overdubbed after the voice track was assembled.

The final multitrack of the play was mixed back down to the A807 and the gaps between scenes edited out of the master by razorblade. I haven't yet looked at mastering it (compressing the hell out of things can actually be a good strategy for spoken-work stuff).
    That's kind of cool. Sounds retro.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    As analog as it gets>>>>

Recorded in 1976/7 or so. The writer is Tim Gadban from Minneapolis. His band was called d'Gadband. "Ah Ha" is by the drummer, Tim Gries. He said it and I left it in there. Multitrack = Tascam 80-8. Mixdown to Teac 7300-2T. Console = Prototype Auditronics 16x8. Vocal Mic = Neumann U-67. Three drum mics, one on kick and 2 U-67 on overhead. Sparsely used reverb = EMT Plate. I can't recall what was used to "flange" the guitar, but I'm sure it wasn't digital (probably some sort of bucket brigade device). Cut to 4 song EP on Vinyl (either 500 or 1,000 copies were out there). This is an MP-3 from a vinyl dub. I can't find the mixed master, although I think I still have the 1/2" master around here somewhere..... Enjoy and feel free to comment.

Click play on Gamaya. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=818206

Some pix of the studio: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/image/3371040

I've got some others that I would like to upload, but covers can't be uploaded unless in the pulic domain . Here's a public domain (I think) cover that was recorded live in concert in probably 1975. Recorded to a Teac 3340, mixed to the same 7300 as above. "Console" = 2 Teac Model 2 with external low z transformer inputs. I also used the 4 mic inputs on the 7300. The band is the Cooper Street Band from Minneapolis. Here's a pic of my location rig (shot the night of this recording): http://www.pbase.com/rking401/image/3371059

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=818206 Click on Sing Gloria

Man hearing that stuff really tempts me to go all analouge.
    Its just so damn expensive, but the sound is just brilliant

Thanks
    I hit the "Top 10". "One Winter's Day on a New York Subway" is number 9 out of 4,168 songs in Soundclick's Psychedelic Rock category. I have no idea how they determine their numbering scheme though.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=8167914
    http://www.soundclick.com/genres/cha...subgenreID=219

Thanks
    Sounds great man love the trippy vocal effects

Thread Information