Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

I've just uploaded all of my bands tracks:
jrkimber's sets on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
All recorded in analogue. Enjoy!

What was the mixdown deck, out of interest?

Just finished the EP thing. So far it sounds a lot like The Jam, and I can't honestly say that the Jam ever really did much for me. However, the performance and production seems to be very slick. I'm curious how you did the chamber quartet thing in 'That's alright with me'? Was that recorded on-site?

PS "I don't remember when" seems to be damaged, skips around 1:55 and stops in mid-verse. Annoyingly that's my favourite song so far...

What was the mixdown deck, out of interest?

Just finished the EP thing. So far it sounds a lot like The Jam, and I can't honestly say that the Jam ever really did much for me. However, the performance and production seems to be very slick. I'm curious how you did the chamber quartet thing in 'That's alright with me'? Was that recorded on-site?

PS "I don't remember when" seems to be damaged, skips around 1:55 and stops in mid-verse. Annoyingly that's my favourite song so far...

Hi,
all of those tracks were recorded using a Fostex R8 and Fostex 812 mixer. They were mixed to a Sony CD recorder. The string quartet was recorded live with a single microphone (Oktava MK219) in my music room (carpeted and quite low ceiling) and a lot of reverb added. The first violin and the conductor had headphones but the other three didn't.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll re upload it.

Cheers
James

My thoughts exactly. Were they people you know? Did you save up and hire them for a day?
.they're friends of our drummer. He scored the strings and they came down from London for the day to record them. They were very professional, they hadn't seen the piece before and they mastered it very quickly.

They were very good. You're lucky to be able to call on such resources

Who played the trumpet(?) solo?

How about a track sheet so we can see how you went about getting it all down on tape (just that song) :)

They were very good. You're lucky to be able to call on such resources

Who played the trumpet(?) solo?

How about a track sheet so we can see how you went about getting it all down on tape (just that song) :)

Yeah, it was really great being able to get them in. Our drummer is playing the trumpet solo, again drenched in reverb.

The tracks were:
3. Kick (AKG D112)
4. Snare (SM57)
5. Overhead (Oktava MK-219)

The drums were then bounced to one track:

1. Trumpet Solo (MK-219)
2. Drums
3. Acoustic Guitar 1 (MK-219)
4. Acoustic Guitar 2 (MK-219)
5. Lead Vocals (MK-219)
6. Harmony Vocals (MK-219)
7. Bass (DI)
8. Strings (MK-219)

The reverb is from an Alesis Wedge and the compression on the kick, snare, trumpet, bass and vocals is from a Behringer Tube Composer.

Our name is pronounced in Swedish and is basically Swedish slang for an UFO. It means something like Ghost Rocket but sounds less like we're a surf band :D
And yeah, his name is actually Hans Christian Andersen but his taste in literature is quite more experimental than the old H.C. Andersen.

I'm swedish, and have never heard that. But after a quick wikilook, I see it refers to UFO sightings from the late 1940's :)

Nice tunes, some drowning notes, but I think it makes the songs interesting. Keep it up!

Wild mountain honey, honey!

A Steve Miller cover I did as a test of my Tascam 388 when I got it. As you can hear on the Stylophone solo, some of the channel faders probably need replacement (is that possible, by the way?). The cracking occured during mixdown :-)

Listen here (ogg file)

Disclaimer: I know this came out a bit too lengthy, and the room used for recording is not acoustically correct. Also, a lot of cheap equipment has been used here, but at least the guitar is a Telecaster :-) The stringed instrument in the intro & solo is a langeleik, a Norwegian instrument which looks something like a dulcimer.

New song

Hey guys! Here's a new song by Spökraket. It's heavy, its psychedelic and you can dance to it if you do have such preferences.
It's an all analog recording, recording basic tracks live and dubbing vocals, percussion and a bit of synth after bouncing to another 8-track.

Serotonin | Spökraket

I'm swedish, and have never heard that. But after a quick wikilook, I see it refers to UFO sightings from the late 1940's :)

Nice tunes, some drowning notes, but I think it makes the songs interesting. Keep it up!

Thanks man!

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum. I record a lot. And the vast majority of it goes down on cassette before anything else. I use a 1976 issue General Electric 'shoebox' cassette recorder. I love it.

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum. I record a lot. And the vast majority of it goes down on cassette before anything else. I use a 1976 issue General Electric 'shoebox' cassette recorder. I love it.

I would love to hear these 'shoebox' recordings. I've done similar myself.

Back