Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

It's the third rehearsal and was messed up by not knowing the song.
Sounds like you had fun though. Not a bad start. Keep at it. Sounds like there was a fair amount of clipping on an input stage somewhere. Watch those meters and clip indicators.

At least you were brave enough to post a song. ;)

Seeing as we've been talking about this, and seeing as I've just stumbled out of another Lonely Few live to two track recording session here is one of the results.

Fast Food - a song about how the industry has our best interests at heart...

G

I just noticed this posted in the initial post. Once it gets rolling it sounds like something that could have come from The Doors back in the old days. Do a little bit of Jim Morrison vocals on there. What did you use to process the vocal?

Edit... ah, I see an analog megaphone.

Sounds like you had fun though. Not a bad start. Keep at it. Sounds like there was a fair amount of clipping on an input stage somewhere. Watch those meters and clip indicators.

At least you were brave enough to post a song. ;)

Thanks for the remarks. Yes it is clipping really bad. For some reason the rhythm guitar player decided to turn his amp up in the middle of the song. That's the worst clipping part. Since he is no longer with us we should no longer have that kind of thing going on. For some reason when I put it through the software I had the levels up to far. I'll pay more attention next time.

i too use an 80-8. here are some recordings from one of my group's first album:
http://sutros.com/magichero

Oh, I rather liked those. I might be interested in a copy of the album if it's still available and if international postage isn't too much of a problem.

Now for something quite different.

Return of Dark Pegasus - introduction

This is the opening of an internet radio play I've been working on. The voices were originally assembled digitally using Audacity (yes, I'm really going to be able to track the voices in analogue when the actors are on different continents).
The music was tracked to a TSR-8, mixed to an A807 and then bounced back onto another tape, with the voices assembled around it. Scenes in the play which use music were either done this way, or in some cases the music was written later and overdubbed after the voice track was assembled.

The final multitrack of the play was mixed back down to the A807 and the gaps between scenes edited out of the master by razorblade. I haven't yet looked at mastering it (compressing the hell out of things can actually be a good strategy for spoken-work stuff).

Oh, I rather liked those. I might be interested in a copy of the album if it's still available and if international postage isn't too much of a problem.

Now for something quite different.

Return of Dark Pegasus - introduction

This is the opening of an internet radio play I've been working on. The voices were originally assembled digitally using Audacity (yes, I'm really going to be able to track the voices in analogue when the actors are on different continents).
The music was tracked to a TSR-8, mixed to an A807 and then bounced back onto another tape, with the voices assembled around it. Scenes in the play which use music were either done this way, or in some cases the music was written later and overdubbed after the voice track was assembled.

The final multitrack of the play was mixed back down to the A807 and the gaps between scenes edited out of the master by razorblade. I haven't yet looked at mastering it (compressing the hell out of things can actually be a good strategy for spoken-work stuff).

That's kind of cool. Sounds retro.

As analog as it gets>>>>

Recorded in 1976/7 or so. The writer is Tim Gadban from Minneapolis. His band was called d'Gadband. "Ah Ha" is by the drummer, Tim Gries. He said it and I left it in there. Multitrack = Tascam 80-8. Mixdown to Teac 7300-2T. Console = Prototype Auditronics 16x8. Vocal Mic = Neumann U-67. Three drum mics, one on kick and 2 U-67 on overhead. Sparsely used reverb = EMT Plate. I can't recall what was used to "flange" the guitar, but I'm sure it wasn't digital (probably some sort of bucket brigade device). Cut to 4 song EP on Vinyl (either 500 or 1,000 copies were out there). This is an MP-3 from a vinyl dub. I can't find the mixed master, although I think I still have the 1/2" master around here somewhere..... Enjoy and feel free to comment.

Click play on Gamaya. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=818206

Some pix of the studio: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/image/3371040

I've got some others that I would like to upload, but covers can't be uploaded unless in the pulic domain :(. Here's a public domain (I think) cover that was recorded live in concert in probably 1975. Recorded to a Teac 3340, mixed to the same 7300 as above. "Console" = 2 Teac Model 2 with external low z transformer inputs. I also used the 4 mic inputs on the 7300. The band is the Cooper Street Band from Minneapolis. Here's a pic of my location rig (shot the night of this recording): http://www.pbase.com/rking401/image/3371059

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=818206 Click on Sing Gloria

Man hearing that stuff really tempts me to go all analouge.
Its just so damn expensive, but the sound is just brilliant:cool:

I was planning on doing some work in the studio this weekend so I could post a song or two but I wasn't able to. I'll post as I can. The good news is I scored a DBX 231 EQ from junkbay and should have that some time this week. So I will start working on some stuff. I want to hear more analog tunes.

Tascam Analog Demos Thru the Years

This reads like my d@mn resume!!! :eek:;)

MF-P01 Demo Jan'09 - Chant 2009 / David Bowie

424mkII Demo 05/18/01 - 1-7/8ips MONO - I Remember You / The Ramones

424mkII Demo 05/23/01 - 3-3/4ips MONO - Now I Wanna Be a Good Boy / The Ramones

424mkII Demo 06/27/01 - 3-3/4ips MONO - I Don't Care / The Ramones

424mkII Demo Aug'98 - STEREO - Six Pack / Black Flag

424mkIII Demo 02/05/07 - Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment / The Ramones

424mkIII Demo 02/05/07 - Oh Yoko / John Lennon

424mkIII Demo 02/10/07 - Carbona Not Glue / The Ramones

424mkIII Demo 02/11/07 - Locket Love / The Ramones

424mkIII Demo Apr'09 - It's So Hard / John Lennon

244 Demo 1984 - Hold Me / Robin Trower

244 Demo 1987 - It' Only Love / The Beatles

244 Demo 1992 - Isolation / John Lennon

244 Demo 1998 - Wait / The Beatles

246 Demo 05/27/08 - Remember / John Lennon

488mkII Demo 08/16/07 - How Do You Sleep? / John Lennon

488mkII Demo 11/14/07 - The Black Widow / Alice Cooper

488mkII Demo 01/23/08 - I Wanna Be Well / The Ramones

388 Demo 02/28/01- Love Me Do / The Beatles

388 Demo Mar'01 - Listen to My Heart / The Ramones

388 Demo 11/22/02 - Long Time Gone / Crosby, Stills & Nash

388 Demo 01/11/03 *NO DBX* - Moonage Daydream / David Bowie

388 Demo 11/02/03 - God / John Lennon

388 Demo 03/27/04 - It's a Long Way Back / The Ramones

38 Demo 1984 - Savoy Truffle / The Beatles

38 Demo 1987 & 1999 - The Gospel According to Tony Day / David Bowie

38 Demo 1991 Sound and Vision / David Bowie

38 Demo 1991 #2 - Sarah / Fleetwood Mac

38 Demo Dec'98 - Aqualung / Jethro Tull

38 Demo 1997/1999 - Glass Onion / The Beatles

38 Demo 02/05/00 - Think for Yourself / The Beatles

38 Demo 02/27/00 - Lovely Rita / The Beatles

38 Demo 02/27/00 #2 - Your Mother Should Know / The Beatles

38 Demo Mar'00 - Look at Me / John Lennon

38 Demo 03/10/00 - I Me Mine / The Beatles

38 Demo Feb'00/Jun'00 - Hey Bulldog / The Beatles

38 Demo 08/11/00 - With You There to Help Me / Jethro Tull

38 Demo 09/24/00 - Rock 'n' Roll Suicide / David Bowie

Last edited:
Stress Parts I & II - The Lonely Few

Here's our latest all analog Lonely Few cassette release and the second last for this year. Recorded in the same session a few weeks ago that Fast Food was recorded on. Live to two track Revox PR99 off the Studer 089, mastered down to mono on the Nagra and dubbed off at normal speed to C30 on the Akai GX95. Limited to twenty copies only.

CassetteSmall.jpg

FrontSmall.jpg

BackSmall.jpg

And here are some sound bites.

Simple Life Song

Modern Life

... a mere fraction of my total output!:eek:;)

Some good songs. I haven't looked through the hole listing you posted, but I was wondering if you have done anything by The Beach Boys? I'd like to hear it if you have. Thanks for the music. I'll listen to them latter in the day.

I should have my EQ tomorrow!!!! We're working on a new song I wrote for my wife for her birthday in November. I will post when it's done. Their will be no drum tracks on it.

Back