Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Here is a link to my present songs. I wrote these, played and sang all parts. The drum programs were written on an Alesis HR-16. Most are 12 track compilations using a Tascam TSR-8. They were mixed down to a Pioneer RT-707. I used an Alesis 1622 Mixer, Quadraverb and a Yamaha compressor.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1032210

I listened to all your tunes. The vox are a little up front and kind of honky. I also hear some distortion or clipping on a few songs. If I could suggest eq'ing it some, I think it would be more pleasing. The good points, first, the clarity is amazing. It sounds crisp and clear for the most part. Not bashing you at all. I'm just giving you my ears. I have been in the same boat with the same exact things in my own music. I'd like to listen to more in the future so keep posting.

Here is a recording of acoustic guitar and bass that was done on the 80-8

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8697060

The acoustic guitar was a Shure PG tom mic (nothing special) which was pointed at the bridge and has a lot of reverb on it panned right. There was also an AKG C414 going through one of the pre-amps on the Soundcraft Series 1S I acquired recently! aimed at the fretboard/sound hole a bit. And lastly a DI from the Fishman Ellipse Blender system with the piezo and in body condenser mic.

The bass was DI, using the DI out on the back of a Crate Amp. Some panning, EQ on the board, compression from a dbx, and the reverb from a digital :-)o) Korg DRV unit. You can kinda hear the click a litle bit at the beginning before and after we end. Oh, and the weird stuff at the beginning was test tones from a few ago. :)

The squeal in the beginning has to stop!! I had the speaks turned way up and had that pumping through my system. Gave you 5 stars on Soundclick. I thought it was a very nice piece of work. Keep posting.

Did you use your TSR? Sounds real good man.

Thanks, Ed. Yes it is the TSR 8 . Everything is analog except the drum machine.

Steve, you have a nice voice. Very good lyrics on the "Time" song. The mix is thin. Bring your voice more out front and fatten up the EQ overall. Just my 2 cents :-)

Thanks, Ed. Yes it is the TSR 8 . Everything is analog except the drum machine.

Steve, you have a nice voice. Very good lyrics on the "Time" song. The mix is thin. Bring your voice more out front and fatten up the EQ overall. Just my 2 cents :-)

Thanks Dan. I think the whole thing is kind of mushy sounding. The tracks are long gone now because I don't have the 38 anymore. This was a mix from a couple years ago. I might wind up redoing the whole thing.

Daniel Sexton - Stealin'

Here's one we've just done in a room with ol' Dan, his resonator & 12 string, the Nagra IV 1/4" mono recorder and a single Rode K2. We were after that real old time Alan Lomax kind of thing. Just a pair of heaphones for me and nothing for Dan.

It was done at 7 1/2 ips for a bit of grit then just come out via a little Berri UB to a Fostex CR500 master recorder at 16/44.1 with a little short back and sides on it.

Stealin'

DanatGoose1.jpg

NagraatGoose-Dan.jpg

DigitizingDanielSexton.jpg

I was kind of happy with how it all came out. Twelve tunes in two hours, all single takes. One, two, ready, play.

I might run it through a parametric, BBE, reverb and 3 band limiter yet to see if it 'improves' it or not.

Ya, well I did that. I think I like the results a bit better than with it raw.

MasteringDansGooseStuff.jpg

:)

Last edited:
He's got a little canned heat vocal going on. :cool:

Jed, what kind of mic is that on the floor in front of the Beri?

Ya, Canned Heat, that's Dan alright, especially when the rest of us put a bit of a band behind him.

The mike's an oddball BeyerDynamic called a M610. It came with the Nagra when I bought it ex the Australian Army. It was obviously the interview mike. It's a really nice little dynamic that I use for vocals sometimes. It's got that nice smooth bottom / sweet high thing that Beyer's have. I can't find out anything about it spec wise. I'd have to go direct to Beyer I guess.

BeyerDynamicM610.jpg

Daniel Sexton "Resonator Man"

I'm well pleased with how this one came out. Forty bucks to rent a rehearsal studio for three hours, forty bucks worth of 1/4" tape, one performer, one mike, one painting done by Skateboard Bob when he was thirteen and a bit of effort with the digital camera, PC, printer and craft knife and Dan's your uncle - a CD and a cassette to get out there for ol' Dan in less than a week.

ResonatorMan.jpg

CassetteJCardOuter.jpg

Back