Post-Fader USB Mixing Console

Theeoddname

I’d like to be able to adjust each channels EQ both independently and before my DAW sees it ... I’d also like to do this on a board.

Use Case: I’m going to be kicking off a live-stream show, one man shop, and don’t want to have to move back and forth through various software to adjust levels, EQ, muting, etc. it would be real nice to have the option of sending either pre/post fader with the flip of a switch (and better yet send both) to different channels for recording and editing later.

Is there a mixer that’ll do this? Or am I just off my rocker here?

Thanks.

I *think* I understand your question.

You’re just wanting an analog mixer that has EQ on each input so you have physical knobs to tweak sources prior to going into the computer?

That’s pretty much any analog mixer.

You mention pre/post fader capability...that’s a feature found on more advanced consoles. But is it necessary in your setup? Maybe I’m not understanding your question entirely...

I want to be able to send to my DAW, OBS, Voice Recorder or what’re ever on my computer AFTER the mixer has its complete adjustments to the input channel.

So I want to be able to adjust the EQ, FX, etc and then send to the DAW the channel’s post fader signal via USB.

I also want this to happen for each individual channel and NOT just for the master mix.

I *think* I understand your question.

You’re just wanting an analog mixer that has EQ on each input so you have physical knobs to tweak sources prior to going into the computer?

That’s pretty much any analog mixer.

You mention pre/post fader capability...that’s a feature found on more advanced consoles. But is it necessary in your setup? Maybe I’m not understanding your question entirely...

I want to be able to send to my DAW, OBS, Voice Recorder or what’re ever on my computer AFTER the mixer has its complete adjustments to the input channel.

So I want to be able to adjust the EQ, FX, etc and then send to the DAW the channel’s post fader signal via USB.

I also want this to happen for each individual channel and NOT just for the master mix. So my question boils down to this: is there a mixer which sends to the computer via USB post-fader and not pre-fader? Or perhaps there's a mixer which allows for both pre/post?

I guess another way to ask this is:

Is there a multitrack USB audio interface mixing console which will allow the USB signal to be passed to the computer post fader. So far, all I'm seeing is that the Master Mix is passed post-fader but each individual input is passed pre-fader.

I know you can do this with a full featured analog mix combined with an audio interface with a sufficient number of inputs. It's likely possible to do this with the right digital mixer that can act as an interface.

The Soundcraft GB2R has channel direct outputs that can be switched pre- or post-fader. In post-fader they'll also be post channel eq and post channel insert. Connected to any multichannel interface it would meet your requirements.

I guess another way to ask this is:

Is there a multitrack USB audio interface mixing console which will allow the USB signal to be passed to the computer post fader. So far, all I'm seeing is that the Master Mix is passed post-fader but each individual input is passed pre-fader.

This is usually configurable in a digital desk. It's all going through one usb out so it has to be a software setting in an all digital desk.

I know you can do this with a full featured analog mix combined with an audio interface with a sufficient number of inputs. It's likely possible to do this with the right digital mixer that can act as an interface.

The Soundcraft GB2R has channel direct outputs that can be switched pre- or post-fader. In post-fader they'll also be post channel eq and post channel insert. Connected to any multichannel interface it would meet your requirements.

This is usually configurable in a digital desk. It's all going through one usb out so it has to be a software setting in an all digital desk.

Thank you folks. The Soundcraft GB2R hasn't been on my radar so this gives me some avenues to go after! As for the software solution -- really trying to avoid that route specifically because I'm wanting to physically turn dials and such...bit old school this way. However, if there's software that exists which will make an analogue mixer work the way I'm wanting … OR a firmware update (similar to the Magic Lantern solution for Canon Cameras) that would also be AWESOME!

Currently I've been bouncing back and forth between the Soundcraft Sig 12MTK, Zoom Livetrak L-12, the Heath & Allan MixWizard ($$$ is a concern here), and the Mackie ProFXv2/3 series --- 12/16 channels most likely because of desk space but I have eyed the 22 channels on occasion. I like the USB back feed on the 12MTK but doesn't have as many AUX's or headphones I'd like to see. I live the L-12 because of it's monitor outs but they can't be used as AUX sends (apparently). The Allan has a great number of AUX sends but it's a bit out of my $$ for now -- maybe next year after bonus season in March ??? … and I like the Mackie because of it's AUX/channel - Price ratio. However, I don't know much about these brands other than Soundcraft and Heath/Allan are largely well liked with Mackie/Zoom filling in the middle and I would prefer to get high quality and low functionality than have to be looking for another mixing in two years because of decaying hardware.

All this said, I'm really a newbie in all this audio engineering so I've got ALOT to learn in this space. It's fun though.

Thank you again for your inputs! Which leads me to another question.

IS IT POSSIBLE to do the following: Assuming I can send a signal through the AUX input POST-fader like on the 12MTK
a) bring mics into the inputs and send them to the AUX channel post fader
b) from the AUX send bring it back to another input on the mixer and send it to the USB

I'm thinking (with Loopback on mac) I could have an audio device in my computer to read only the USB inputs which have the POST-AUX reroute. This way I would have a work around to ensure onboard EQ and fader with the original input channels (which the system via USB would receive but not be on an audio device being used) while the signal is picked up via USB with the audio device listening to the channels output from the mixer.

I'm just theorizing here … thought you may know.

If the above would work then perhaps I could get a 22 channel mixer such as the 22MTK for $800 ish and it would effectively be a 12MTK with the feature set I'm looking for … just have to get creative with the desk space.

Could you describe your recording setup, and what you are actually trying to achieve, i.e., what's the end result, or results, as there seem to be two competing requirements? Is it as simple as wanting to stream live from a mixing board (i.e., a stereo, or maybe even mono mix) and at the same time capture individual tracks pre-fader for later re-mixing in a DAW?

P.S. How big is this band you need 22 tracks? What all are you recording?

I am yet another poor bod who is confused!

As I see it you want all the bells and whistles of a conventional analogue mixer, EQ, filters, comp' (pan?) and channel fader all funnelled down to a converter that connects via USB? If so be very careful. Read specifications, download block signal diagrams and IF you think you have found such a beast ASK the mixer makers to be dead bang sure.

Does the resultant signal into the DAW need to be just stereo? If so, on a basic level all you need is a fairly comprehensive mixer and a Behringer UCA 202! (or better)

Dave.

I am yet another poor bod who is confused!

As I see it you want all the bells and whistles of a conventional analogue mixer, EQ, filters, comp' (pan?) and channel fader all funnelled down to a converter that connects via USB? If so be very careful. Read specifications, download block signal diagrams and IF you think you have found such a beast ASK the mixer makers to be dead bang sure.

Does the resultant signal into the DAW need to be just stereo? If so, on a basic level all you need is a fairly comprehensive mixer and a Behringer UCA 202! (or better)

Dave.

A bit of an update:
I decided to get Loopback for my macOS. This is allowing me to create digital audio devices which is helpful because now I can feed OBS individual mic's as an audio source from a single audio interface as opposed to having all mics from the hardware source be mixed into a single feed. So this is cool. Also, after some research I've discovered:

a) How to do a mix-minus, and theoretically be able to duplicate or even triplicate for 2/3 callers. YAY!
b) However, I cannot find a digital recorder or USB mixer (with multitrack abilities) that sends the signal to a computer (or recorder) for each individual track POST-FADER! So far, all I've seen is they all send pre-fader/eq to the computer (and recorder if it's a recorder).

In Short
The quickest way to say all the below is: I want to do the work with external hardware, on the analogue signal, and then let the computer record the tracks, not just the final stereo mixed-output.

All the above/below said, any suggestions on a premium 2-channel, 1-AUX with amazing EQ mixers? Just in case I go this route. Or perhaps a box which I could send my mic into, make adjustments, and then pass it along to the computer?

-- short motivation -- I dislike working in software for levels, knobs, and such. I can do it but (a) i dont like it and (b) I really dislike having to go back and forth through various windows (even on a multi screen set up) to mute a line or make a quick simple adjustment.

At Length
Considering (b), this means the mute buttons, faders, EQ, etc won't work and thus most of the board's functionality would be useless for a live stream (EQ, faders, mute) IF ... yes IF ... we were interested in sending to the broadcast each channel individually rather than the mixed out. I recognize this is likely not a big deal for the broadcast other than in one simple important fact: System Resources.

I have a mic which I like the sound of my voice better after a bit of EQ: and my snark kicks in and says, "I am the ONLY one ever to have thought this ever in the entire history of recording!" -- sarcasm --

That said, I want to be able to adjust all my settings via analogue and then send to the recorder/computer to record/broadcast my voice, in this order. I specifically want to have this per input channel... i.e. every mic and audio source, not just the mixed output.

Motivations:
This would reduce the system resources I'm running while streaming because I wont need to have the signal routed into a DAW and then over to OBS to get the EQ'd signal for streaming - hence one less program to have open and running and thus one less program to worry about system resources chewing up processor power. Yes I realize that to record on the computer via multi-track will eat up my resources and thus sending from there to OBS is a moot point -- but if the mixer had an onboard (off-computer) recording ability (like the zoom L12) then i can record via hardware off my computer and broadcast using my computer.

Use Case
Since all the mixer's I have found thus far send just after the gain (+compressor if they have it), any mute button + controls are also inactive for the purposes of multi-track recording. So, if somebody on the show goes into a coughing fit or becomes rather obnoxious the mute button wont work on the Mixer. I'm forced to either use a digital method, unplug the mic and later have to re-plug it, or use the gain knob on the mixer as opposed to a simple push button solution to kill the feed.

I doubt I would need to explain my motivations to have the multitrack recording ability for editing.

Thoughts
I could output via master out to OBS on my mac for broadcast (using the master outs into the mic on my computer or audio interface) and then record to a digital recorder via USB which allows for the broadcast to have the EQ'd signal, mute buttons, etc, but in this case the recorder would still have the raw values and thus not be consistent with the broadcast values and for post editing purposes I'd have to deal with that -- not what I was wanting to do.

Ultimately, I'd love to be able to record (per individual channel) BOTH the pre and post fader signals.

Work Around
A) Aux sends + loop back into mixer.
I did test on an cheap board I picked-up the following:
1) Run the mic into channel 1 all the way down to the fader.
2) Send this signal POST-Fader to an Aux send.
3) Route the AUX send out back into channel 2 and then over to the computer via USB.
4) Use Loopback to create an audio device using only channel 2 from the mixer.
This does indeed give me what I want, however, I must have then AUX Sends which are POST fader AND this also chews up both an Aux and an additional input on the mixer. Furthermore, in my test I used TSR-to-XLR cable and the routed input sounded a little degraded in quality --- I'm guessing this is because it wasn't designed to do this and also I routed the AUX over to a XLR channel with phantom power on ... I'll need to test this when I get home on a TSR-to-TSR cable. However, this is undesirable because a single mic now requires three slots on my mixer and hence throws me into needing a massive mixer for even small shows.

B) Multiple Mixers
All this said has lead to me the following possible solution:
Get two - four premium small channel mixers each having EQ, mute, etc on them. Route my mic's into these mixers, adjust the EQ, let each in-studio guest have their own mixer, and run these over to the audio interface.
The con here is the amount of hardware to buy and of course the cabling --- soooo many cables and thus a messy desk.

Am I missing something here?

Of course I could just get the Rodecaster PRO ... (not really what I want for other reasons) ... but this is an option I may have to go with.

All the above said, any suggestions on a premium 2-channel, 1-AUX with amazing EQ mixers? Just in case I go this route.

Thanks for reading this far -- and for the help. Perhaps I'm just the outlier in this world and that certainly wouldn't be atypical for me.

---------- Update ----------

perhaps...I'll have a look

---------- Update ----------

Could you describe your recording setup, and what you are actually trying to achieve, i.e., what's the end result, or results, as there seem to be two competing requirements? Is it as simple as wanting to stream live from a mixing board (i.e., a stereo, or maybe even mono mix) and at the same time capture individual tracks pre-fader for later re-mixing in a DAW?

P.S. How big is this band you need 22 tracks? What all are you recording?

Read my post above -- explains motivations for the larger mixer -- primarily because of the number of AUX's.

May be useful for you to know what I have already:
1) macOS
2) Logic Pro X, Final Cut Pro X, OBS
3) Neuman TLM 103, Deity S-Mic 2
4) Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 gen 3
5) Focusrite Clarett 4PRE-USB
6) Canon G7x-iii and Sony RX100-iii

and should I go music production - which I do dable with music on occasion
Electric Guitar, Marshall Amp, and Roli 2xBlocks and Seaboard

A lot of folks go to a field recorder for this sort of thing I think. My F8n and F8 have the ability to be used as an interface, and can produce an automix for things like panel discussions, as well as routing to a submix that can be manually configured. You don't have any EQ on a device like that, but you do have pan, faders and configurable limiters. (Automix gives you an immediate mix that attenuates inputs that are inactive to reduce background noise).

You could also insert an 8x splitter in front of everything going into the mixer, and send the dry stuff direct to a field recorder (this is how I do a lot of recording at open mics). Then the mixer can be set however you want, and you can subsequently do a mix of the raw tracks any way you want.

P.S. But, as someone else suggested, a podcast forum might have more active members that are actually already doing what you are contemplating.

Never mind. Looks like i overlooked something - this also sends M1-M2 as preEQ .... I think I can work around this though if I’m dealing with only two input sources through the pan option.

I've been doing that for about 10 years now. All my instruments have a channel on an Alesis mixer. Main difference with your need I think is that the mixer only has a main out left/right. So while you have independent channel adjustments, going into the daw will only be a two channel mixdown. I'm not sure why you are fixated on the pre/post fader thing. That's only relevant for mix to monitors out.

Back