Pop Quiz: "Hours" of Use on a Tape Head

analog aaron

Swami King of Poppers
Pop Quiz:

Exactly, how are "Hours" on a tape head \ machine itself measured? Is it the length of time you have the power turned on? The Length of time the capstan motor ran? Everytime the tape hits the tape head added up to make actual Hours?

Reel to reel, cassette, Dat, Daw, etc., hours are measured as:
Power On - The actual powered up hours. This time will always be highest. If you leave a machine on for 24 hours even without using it, you added 24 hours to this time.
Transport Use – Rewind, Play, Record, Fast Forward, Stop. When motors spin.
Head Hours –The actual time of use that moving tape touches the heads.
Threading – Measured in cycles. Each time a Dat cassette has been loaded and ejected.
Drum Hours – The actual time of use that moving or stationary tape touches the rotating head drum in Play, Record or Standby.
Early analog machines had no way electronically to keep track of time so Engineers kept logs to reflect use. Timers were eventually added to reflect “on” time. Newer machines have electronic timers to record all these and more parameters. Studio owners keep track of use and manufactures / service techs use these to verify warrantee wear issues. Most menu driven machines have a “timer” mode so you can see how much time your machine has used.

Yeah, obviously that's more of a complete answer (from ECC82) 'cause I thought the original poster was interested in hours as it relates to heads. I must have read that too fast.:D;)

And, if you're not the original owner and your machine doesn't have an "odometer" for this function, you'll need to make yourself aware of what worn out heads look like or find an experienced service technician who can give you an accurate report on the head life.

Companies like JRF Magnetics perform this service and give you a written report.

www.jrfmagnetics.com

Cheers! :)

I killed the heads on my 4-track years ago. It sucks trying to work while all 'your recordings bleed and ghost together; fading in and out.

Back