Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Please critique my first all analog mix...

Thanks

Please critique my first all analog mix...

Sign in to disable this ad
    'Goodnight Josephine'

This is my first all analog from TSR-8 to 22-2 half track project.

i know theres some flubs in there. i recorded this all analog and kept some of the mistakes.

i am trying to set up a set of monitors and i want to see how off they are. the mix through my car stereo sounds a bit bassy but i kind of like it but i would like your opinions.

i like mixing the panning kind of like a 60s style with some harder panning.

http://www.soundclick.com/wheresthelove

Thanks
    the vocals sound distorted
    I refuse to be the nice guy. Do you want to get better or have everyone tell you you're awesome?

Thanks
    the vocals sound distorted and i never liked the 60s hard paning so it was annoying to me
    I refuse to be the nice guy. Do you want to get better or have everyone tell you you're awesome?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by doulos24 View Post
    the vocals sound distorted and i never liked the 60s hard paning so it was annoying to me
    thanks. did u find it too bass heavy?

Thanks

Thumbs up

I dig it. Hmmmmm, vocals sound fine to me. The panning is not too extreme either. I dig But I also kind of don't like drummer sitting in the corner...sort of speak.
    I am always for a nice heavy bass almost everywhere ...heh heh. So I'd say the bass there isn't too heavy that's for sure.

Subjective world - Subjective Truth.

Knowledge is calculable, Ignorance has no limits.
    Dr ZEE
    MZE | Dr ZEE WORKSHOP

Thanks
    I like it. I cant tell if its too bass heavy cause Im on earbuds. But with these it sounds ok to me.
    I also like the 60,s hard pan sound. From what I have read about the 60,s hard panning was it wasnt on purpose but it was cause stereo was new and mixers like the Redd3.7 I think thats the model number where made for mono mixing and they only had one or two channels of the mixer that would send the tracks to both sides of the mixdown machine.
    Atleast thats the reason they give in the book Recording the beatles.
    Which I highly recommend getting if you have a extra 100 bucks.

Anyway good job Rickson And would like to hear more about Microphones mixer and things like that you used to record this song.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herm View Post
    I like it. I cant tell if its too bass heavy cause Im on earbuds. But with these it sounds ok to me.
    I also like the 60,s hard pan sound. From what I have read about the 60,s hard panning was it wasnt on purpose but it was cause stereo was new and mixers like the Redd3.7 I think thats the model number where made for mono mixing and they only had one or two channels of the mixer that would send the tracks to both sides of the mixdown machine.
    Atleast thats the reason they give in the book Recording the beatles.
    Which I highly recommend getting if you have a extra 100 bucks.

Anyway good job Rickson And would like to hear more about Microphones mixer and things like that you used to record this song.
    thanks. stuff might sound a bit distorted because i was really pushing levels and im just trying to see what i an get away with.

im using a blue blueberry mic on the vocals through a sabetron mic pre compressed with an ART VLA. the bass is a rogue hofner copy with pyrmid flatwounds into an ampex amp miced with a sure d112 through a UA LA 610. i really like sound of the this mic and pre setup for bass. the LA 610 compressor works well with bass IMO

im mixing through a TASCAM M30 but should be upgrading to a little Trident 8 channel board soon.

the monitors are adam A7s and im using an maudio sub but i still cant get good bass response.

i just finished adding acoustic treatment to the ceiling. i have a really low basement ceiling. this recording was tracked before the acoustic treatment and i had a tough time getting a good vocal sound.

maybe i need bass traps to get better bass response out of my monitors?

by the way i really like 60s style panning because with a good stereo it sound like a bunch of people jamming in a room sitting in different places. i know it turns a lot of people off but for me it sounds great

Thanks
    I think it sounds great man. Very full and natural sounding. Yeah, the panning is a bit odd, but not so extreme as to be bothersome.

What did you do with the drums? It sounds like there's some kind of reverse reverb on the snare or something? I dunno, it is subtle, but it sounds cool...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    I think it sounds great man. Very full and natural sounding. Yeah, the panning is a bit odd, but not so extreme as to be bothersome.

What did you do with the drums? It sounds like there's some kind of reverse reverb on the snare or something? I dunno, it is subtle, but it sounds cool...
    thanks

i miked the drum set with only two mics. the blueberry on the snare and an audix kick mic then i just compressed it a bit with an RNC. im just playing it with brushes.

Thanks
    I like it! I also like it when instruments are panned quite a bit, sound great. Vocals are somewhat iffy, I would try and keep the levels lower or use a compressor to avoid too much distortion, but overall, sounds ok, good tune too.

Thread Information