Thread: Playback 4 track on an 8 track?

Thanks

Playback 4 track on an 8 track?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I've recently been having lots of fun converting the band's 30 year-old "masters" from cassette and 1/4" tape to CD. Some old studio tapes have surfaced that are 1/2" and may be 4 track, 8 track or both. I could have someone else do the conversion, but I enjoy doing it so I'd like to buy a 1/2" reel to reel.

If I buy an eight track machine, will it playback 4 track recordings without any loss? I'm concerned that the tracks may have gaps between them that result in signal loss. If it does work, am I correct in assuming Track1 of a four track would occupy Tracks 1&2 of an eight track, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Yes. An 8 track half inch should do the trick for you. There is a very thin guard band in-between the chanels so, there will be a tiny loose but it shouldn't be anything to be overly concerned about.

If the tapes are 4 track, track 1 would occupy the space of tracks 1 & 2 on an 8 track.

You might also have to get some dbx nr units with the machine if the original tapes used that noise reduction as well.

Cheers and good luck with your project!

Thread Information