Pioneer RT-909

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
So my dad has a line on one for $150 and he's been able to borrow it for a bit to give it a test drive. It all seems to work though he hasn't checked the record functions, but he says everything else is crisp...he did notice that the repro level range is less significantly less on one track vs. another. I talked to him about DeoxIT and cleaning switches. He also said that it doesn't auto-stop when tape winding ends so I told him to check and see if there is a mechanical or optical switch on one of the tension arms that isn't functioning and he then noticed that the left tension arm doesn't retract all the way...sticky grease maybe? It has full travel range, its just that the spring tension isn't enough to retract it all the way without help.

Questions:

1. Can anybody point me to any good threads or other web-based resources on this deck for my dad's benefit? Threads with technical helps or flags to trouble spots...maintenance tips, that sort of thing?
  2. Does this deck have removable amp cards in it with adjustment trimmers?
  3. Where is the best place to get basic parts for this deck (i.e. capstan belt)?

Thanks!

Sweet!

The RT-909 is an awesome consumer level deck.

The auto-stop feature should engage when the tension arms have released. The first thing I would check would be the grease on the inside. Does the arm move quickly or does it drag a little bit? It should move pretty quick and snap to the "off" position firmly.

I'm not sure about the innards, as far as a removable amp card. I believe it is removable. The inside (in my opinion) is well organized and laid out.

You can still get a couple of parts from Pioneer, not anything major, but you can still get the pinch rollers and belts. Other than that, ebay would be the easiest source. I haven't really had the time to search out a good source as of yet. I need to get 2 of mine serviced since I blew them up accidentally.:mad::eek:

PM me with your email address and I'll send you some pdfs. One is the owners manual and other is the service manual. They aren't perfect, but they are good enough to get you in the right direction. I may not get to it tonight, but I'll have them to you by Saturday.

If you hit up the Yahoo groups, either the Reel to Reel group or the 70's vintage audio group, there are a couple of guys there that are very knowledgeable on that model.

Hope this helps man!;)

Doh! Cjacek, I totally forgot about that place!:o

I've got a few photos I took of mine while I had it apart initially when I was giving it a good cleaning. I might have to post 'em up here tomorrow while I'm at work.

Ask and ye shall receive...you guys are awesome. A veritable ton of resources, not to mention the info you shared of your personal experiences/opinions. I'll send my dad a link to this thread.

Thanks! :)

Sweetbeats, Rich at Audio Karma is a nice guy to deal with and that thread is excellent if you are up to the challenge fixing it yourself :)

Back