Pioneer RT 707 with mixer

lameller

Hi

I got a mint Pioneer RT 707 from a family friend. Its a two track 1/4inch reel to reel that sounds great. I am thinking of using it to record a small project I have with a friend. We play Rhodes, Guitar, Bass Synth and an Elektron Digitakt as a drum machine. I am not really interested in doing any after the fact mixing, but would like to capture our performances at rehersal.

I guess any mixer would be fine for sending a mix directly to the RT 707? Or should I be aware of anything?

So far I am looking at the Behringer RX1202FX as it is also rack mount as the RX707.

Any thoughts?

Best

Lameller

Yes, if you're just sending a stereo mix to tape, I would think just about any mixer would do.

Of course, if you're planning on using any condenser mics, you'd need phantom power for those. A lot of mixers offer this as well (including tiny Behringers usually).

The only other variable would be if you wanted to add any effects (reverb, delay, etc.) on the way in. You'd need something with at least one FX send/return. Unless, of course, you use one that has built-in effects, like the one you mentioned.

I've got this one that I use for small things here and there:
Guitar Center

It would do what you need (depending on how many mics you plan to use), but the preamps can be a little noisy if you're recording quiet stuff like voice-overs. For close-miked electric stuff like amps, though, it would be a non-issue.

Like I said, though, it depends on how many mics you plan on using, etc.

The one I linked to doesn't have built-in effects, so you'd need an external effects processor if you wanted to use them.

If you want a rack mount mixer that looks fine. I had the Berry BCA2000 interface with the IMP preamps and they were excellent, really quiet. The 1202 has standard 48V phantom power (as did my BCA2K)

One area of slight concern? The tape machine has a line input sensitivity of 50mV (-26dBV) and the mixer puts out up to 10V (+20dBV) and so you might have an overload problem. Personally I would solve that with attenuators so that the mixer's and the recorder's meters matched up but I dare say some care in adjusting controls will see you through. Note, it is the meters on the tape machine you need to work from.

Have fun!

Dave.

With the 1202, there are 2 stereo inputs and 8 mono inputs, so you have a possible total of 6 stereo inputs if you're e.g. using a stereo phaser pedal on the Rhodes. I used one as a keyboard mixer for a while before replacing it with a smaller, 1U line mixer since I didn't actually need the EQ. The faders felt a little plasticky so I'm not sure how well they'd stand up to a lot of abuse, but as a set-and-forget box it worked well and I have no complaints.
The effects unit isn't especially versatile, IIRC there are no parameters, so there's about 8 presets for each effect type, e.g. with different delay lengths.

Back