Pinch Roller Cleaner ?

bubinski

Anybody know what the basic fluid of pinch roller cleaner is ?
The guy with the radio shack in the back of the corner store here in nowhere montana don't even know what a pinnch roller is. He just sells dish's and cell phones and scanners and did'nt even have a catalog.
Hope to find out so I can go to the hardware store and buy a gallon.
bubinski.

I used to use isopropanol back in the day.

However, when I was repairing VCR's (had my own business in the 80's till the things got to cheap to bother repairing), I found a solution called "Rubber Rejuvinator" that worked brilliantly.

Look on the web for it.

Carl

"Just a pinch between the capstan and roller will get you through the day"

DON'T USE ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL ON PINCH ROLLERS!!!!!!!!

It dries out the rubber very quickly cause it to crack... you should use the rubber cleaner formulated for pinch rollers available in any electronic component supply store (which Radio Shack is not!)

Bruce

I use 99% Isopropyl alcohol.Anything under 90% is no good as Blue Bear noted that it will dry out the rubber and crack.I am pretty sure anything under 90% contains 10% or more water so that's definately not good.I assume rubber cleaner is a good idea even if 99% Isopropyl will work.......:D

Actually Harley, Bear is right. I was a newbie when I was using Isoprop, and there was no one around to tell me that it was bad for rollers.

I wasn't using it on pro equipment anyway. I started repairing VCR's before I started buying porta studios and I only used "Rubber Rejuvinator" on my gear or in the studios that I eventually worked at.

This thread had me investigate my "old ways" by way of google.

No one reccomends Iso for roller cleaning. All stating the same reasons that Bear has for not doing so.

Interesting enough, I've seen more than one site reccomend "Fantastik" or "409" cleaner. However, I'm a bit incredulous that these would work too well. Who knows?

So, you learn something new everyday.

Carl

Back