Phono Pre-Amp Recommendations Please

Westwood187

Hey Guys
Recently started digitizing my vinyl collection with my audio technica turntable with built in pre-amp and its sending an output of -7db to my RME HDSP 9632 soundcard which i feel is to low in volume. dont know if anyone is familiar with the RME HDSP but you cant adjust the line in and has the presets -10 dBv and +4 dBu. so I was hoping to maybe get a good pre-amp that will have adjustable gain so I can get the best volume out of my vinyl. I know I could normalize it to sound louder but that will also somewhat degrade the audio. The rips from my old SB live were far louder because of being able to adjust the line in windows.
Im sure ill notice a big difference in quality as well if I use a dedicated preamp instead of the onboard so any suggestions or recommendations for a good quality one with specs id need and that dosent cost an arm and a leg are very welcome
Many thanks

I cheat a bit. My turntable (an old Kenwood KD-500) runs into a Rane PS-1 Phono pre-amp. The outputs of the Rane are balanced and run into my Presonus Firestudio which I use to adjust levels before going to my computer hard drive.

^^Thanks for stopping by, basically All I'll need is a preamp with adjustable gain
only a few ive found that don't cost the earth, and they are
TC-754
BELLARI VP129

any other reasonably priced ones that people can recommend?

Thanks

^^Thanks for stopping by, basically All I'll need is a preamp with adjustable gain
only a few ive found that don't cost the earth, and they are
TC-754
BELLARI VP129

any other reasonably priced ones that people can recommend?

Thanks

My preamp is an old Hafler DH-110. It's a good sounding unit. They sell on eBay for somewhere between $100 and $150. You can decide if that's reasonable. :) Actually, there's nothing wrong with the DH-101, which is slightly cheaper. It's a similarly hi-fi unit, but lacks a subsonic filter option.

Cheers,

Otto

could try something like this (attached) there are several brands of phono to usb sound cards around for digitizing vinyl.

Cheers

Alan.

Attachments

• 41hAVD0QszL._SS500_.jpg
    41hAVD0QszL._SS500_.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 23
Back