Phantom power unit for TASCAM MX-80 rack mixer...

Ritzy

Registered (Ab)User
I have an MX-80 rack mixer and would like to get phantom power connected. I'm curious about the experiences/thoughts/comments/etc. of other MX-80 users with this issue...

Did TASCAM ever release a phantom power unit intended for the MX-80? Does anyone have such a unit or pics of one?

I guess I'll start looking around for some DIY phantom power projects; it shouldn't take too much to construct a well regulated and filtered 48 Volt supply to run off a 12 Volt wall wart type transformer, right?

Also, the phantom power is connected via an odd 2 pin XLR socket. Unfortunately, a standard 3-pin XLR won't work here as the 3-pin's holes don't line up with the pins on the 2-pin socket. Anyone know of any connectors (such as the 4 or 5 pin XLRs) which will work here?

Any input much appreciated, thanks! :)

I always wanted to know that, myself.

I've never seen or heard of an official Tascam phantom power unit.
I think it's a DIY job.:eek:;)

Thanks for the reply!

That's interesting that they wouldn't have released one. I mean, what made them choose to use that funky XLR jack?

Does anyone know what kind of current I can pump into the phantom jack? I'm wondering whether the current is reduced at each input via internal resistors inside the unit, meaning I could use a larger current supply and power many condensers at once. Or does it just go strait to the input, which will mean a smaller supply current, but will power less condensers at once?

So many questions... :o
Think I might contact TASCAM for some info. Hopefully they have schematics available for this thing...

:)

You think...

Tascam should have had a matching rack power supply that would supply phantom to one or more MX-80's simultaneously, but I've never heard of one or seen one. That doesn't mean it absolutely doesn't exist, but the only MX-80 I've seen with rack phantom power supply, it was a 3rd party or DIY unit, (I can't remember).

As far as the funky 2-pin XLR, it's just another commercially available pin configuration for a connector. I think Tascam chose the 2-pin to differentiate the power from the mic inputs. The connected supply should have enough current to provide phantom power to all 8 inputs simultaneously, if needed. I can't remember if there are resistors in the phantom circuits for each mic, but they are switched.:eek:;)

Back