Petition for maxell to reintroduce reel to reel tape!

I read here: https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...388-running-various-tape-formulations-218155/ that Maxell used some kind of whale oil anyone know anything about this? That would seem to require a reformulation if so. The backcoated version doesn't have sticky shed either.

The way I understand, the whale oil was used in the binder and while Japan continued the practice, other manufacturers (AMPEX etc..) switched over to a synthetic form (due to either the prohibition of whaling or some other reason) and that's when tapes started going bad, the binder disintegrating. I've never seen, heard or read about MAXELL having sticky shed (both back-coated and non back-coated). It's one of the few stable tape formulations.

Steve

Lived in Allston while in law school!

Here's something some might find interesting. There is some concern from a chemist that the paper and glue used on the insides of the tape reel boxes may have "bled" a bit contributing to the SSS.

The paper should actually have been acid free, and for sure the glues at that time may not have been water based!

So there may have been a contribution to the SSS that was beyond moisture.

The way I understand, the whale oil was used in the binder and while Japan continued the practice, other manufacturers (AMPEX etc..) switched over to a synthetic form (due to either the prohibition of whaling or some other reason) and that's when tapes started going bad, the binder disintegrating. I've never seen, heard or read about MAXELL having sticky shed (both back-coated and non back-coated). It's one of the few stable tape formulations.

Wouldn't a new Maxell require a reformulation to something other than whale oil?

Signed it. I just sent it to all of my friends and told them to sign it too seeing as most of the tape I buy I use to record them

The petition is gaining strength! BTW I there was some deliberation about Maxell having stopped making video tape. But I inquired at my local Radio Shack that stocks it and they ran it through computer and according to their information its very much in production. While this isn't R2R tape it at least indicates that materials for magnetic tape are still being supplied. There was some issue that oxides etc were unavailable.

Back