Parts and tapes for old consumer reel to reel

fstrat76

I have a very old early 70's low end consumer 1/4" 7" reel to reel consumer deck I've kept over the years that I am going to clean up and restore. It works ok and I've played some old tapes that I recorded in the late 70's.

It looks like it may need some belts, pinch roller cleaner, and other minor things. I do not have a manual for it.

Two questions:

Where is a good source to find generic rubber belts and pinch roller cleaner?

More importantly, I want to get some new tapes to record on. I used to use the old RS Supertapes back in the day but I have no idea what the proper spec to use is anymore. Can I even find 185 nWb/m or +0 tape?

What kind of tape do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

If it's Tascam/Teac you should be able to get parts from them. You also might try Vintage Texas for the belts or junkbay. As far as cleaner for the pinch roller you can use soap and water. I know they sell cleaner but I have heard that is what a lot of people recommend. RMGI tape should work for you. Here is where I get my stuff from Splicit Reel Audio Products - reel to reel recording supplies they have no minimum order and shipping fast. Good luck.

It's a no name brand basically. I also use rmgi sm911 for my tascam decks but that's +6 and I would think that might be too much for this deck. I was just wondering if I could find a +3 or 185 nWb/m tapes for this cheaper.

RMGI LPR-35, is probably the closest new tape, it's a +6 tape but 1 mil. You can probably bias to it close enough. A "low end consumer machine" probably was setup for something like Scotch 177 or Ampex 642. You can find Ampex 641 (not as good as 642) quite readily on Ebay, prices very from well OK to YGTBSM. But it is a +1 1mil non backcoated tape.

Search the threads here, I can't find it at the moment but recall a couple of industrial supply type places where you could get generic belts, basically from guestimating the size. For pinch rollers, you can get it rebuilt by terrysrubberrollers.com he rebuilt my MSR-16 tach wheel. If it isn't too much an off brand he may have the specs or if it hasn't shrunk too much he can probably estimate it.

Back