Packing 101 (read this if you want your recorder / mixer to arrive in one piece)

My 22-4 is a bust

Alright people, you might remember the thread "what to buy, etc..." that I posted not too long ago. Well this is the last part of the story. I received my 22-4 in the mail, and yep it was busted. Sucks SOOOOOO BAD! It was dropped or something in shipping, thankfully the item was insured. Next week I have to go to the post office to file my claim, and I should be able to get the insurance money no problem, seeing as I have everything required to do so. I had ordered the extra ribber parts, the tension rollers, the manual, even bought some tape in anticipation...but alas, screwed. It's really a shame because the deck seems pretty nice overall. The transport works, but I can't get any signal into the deck, and it looks like the motor may be broken because the pinch roller does not move when playing. You can see in the picks the point of impact and the shockwaves it sent to the bottom circuit board. Anyone who's been in this boat knows how bad it sucks...please people, keep this thread alive, so that ignoramuses like me can forgo a nightmare lurking in the shadows waiting to pounce. My dreams of a reel to reel deck have been dashed for now, but I still have my minty 246! That makes me feel good. I'm taking this as a sign that I should stick with the 246 for now and try to recoup some of my losses. I'm sending the parts I ordered back to Tascam. Needless to say the deck is up for sale for parts after I finish filing my claim (unless the post office keeps the deck). The heads look really good as far as I can tell, and the transport functions work well. The face looks nice too. Actually, I bet anyone who is handy could get it up and running. I'm going on vacation for a few days, so if anyone wants the hole kit and kaboodle :eek: including the tension roller parts with the caps, the belts and the manual, just pm me. If not, I will try to recoup. I still love ebay, just not for anything real heavy and delicate like reel to reel decks. Man this sucked.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 611
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 609
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 604
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 603
How was it packed? USPS may not be to blame and may not accept responsibility.

More often than not it's the seller that commits the murder through inadequate packing. :mad:

Anyway, be sure to file a complaint with eBay and paypal if applicable.

Ouch. That is why I won't buy equipment off feebay. I have ordered supplies and such for my reel to reel and the people I bought them from shipped via USPS. Everything that I received looked like they were untouched, except that someone had to put the postal tape and label on the box.

I used to work for DHL. I wouldn't trust them to deliver a paper bag full of sh!t. I know each company has their faults and all of them have screwed up, however, after being a driver and then going someplace else and being in charge of shipping, DHL kills.

At least 50% of all such deals get busted up during shipping. While most of the time it's the IDIOT SELLERS' fault, my experience has been that it's very, very difficult to prove and it's much easier to work with the seller at filing a damage claim. If, on the other hand, the shipping company fails to accept responsibility, as Tim points out, which is very possible, go after the seller and file a PayPal / eBay complaint.

ksounds: put the machine back together and have it as you received it. In my PM to you I said to keep all packing materials so make sure you do. Also, take lots of photos as PROOF. Can you post larger picts, even if you have to link them, of not only the recorder but also the PACKING used?

We may lead you to make a good case for insufficient packing [ 99.9% likely].

EVERY shipping company tosses and drops every, and any kind of package, repeatedly, from scary heights, from conveyor belts to workers trying to get things done on time.

It is an absolute art and science to pack open reel decks and heavier gear properly and to use Fedex Express or Overnight is a bonus. The better it is packed and shorter it is in transit the better.

ALWAYS GO FOR LOCAL DEALS ABOVE ALL ELSE.

ksounds said:
but I still have my minty 246! That makes me feel good. I'm taking this as a sign that I should stick with the 246 for now

I always like to look at bad experiences is such a fashion. Good for you. :)

After I win a bid I follow up with communicating shipping requirements. If the seller can’t agree to pack the item with a specified amount and type of padding the deal is off. I’ve refused to follow-through a couple of times. eBay has a provision for both parties to agree not to complete the transaction. The seller gets the listing and final value fee refunded and no feedback is left by mutual agreement. No harm, no foul as far as eBay is concerned.

I wouldn’t discount eBay and having items shipped altogether… rather learn what type of auctions and sellers are good bets.

Frankly, that one looked bad from the beginning.

The “istoldit” ‘don’t-know-what-this-here-thang-is-or-how-to-test-it-but-it-powers-up type auctions are high risk in every respect… not recommended for the serious buyer except perhaps for parts.

Things can and will go wrong, but you can reduce the chance and incidence of eBay disasters.

Be willing to pay more for an item from a knowledgeable seller. You will actually pay less in the long run.

:)

50% ??? I don't know if statistics would bear that out, but...

it's never good when a piece of equipment gets banged up like that. I've been there a few times, myself. Recouping your losses is not a slam dunk, so take every tip cjacek lists & good luck!

The belt doesn't appear to be on the flywheel, which might explain why it doesn't do forward tape motion in play. Also, make sure the shorting pins are in the NR jacks when you don't have the DX-4D unit connected. Missing shorting plugs would also create a breakpoint in the signal. Part of your problem still might be user caused issues of unfamiliarity at this point, so don't rule out the simple stuff. The smash job doesn't look as bad as some I've seen, and I have a 38 that was smashed a bit worse than your 22-4 that I got going with some TLC.

It may not be an absolute bust for you yet, but you should pursue reparations while you tinker with it some more. Getting a dent & scratched unit like this via delivery is always a bad thing, & I'm not trying to portray it otherwise.

Ok, stats may prove + or - here but I can tell you that it's at least half of all deal such as this end in damages of various degrees, not neccessarily externally obvious to the eye. It's not based on my experience alone [horrid as it may be] but also from what I've seen, read and heard over the last several years. Lets put it this way, it's not good odds. Add to this the idea of actually buying from someone who has limited knowledge of such equipment [more times than not] and it's even worse odds. I'll put it this way, it's a miracle gear arrives in non-damaged condition when you deal with most sellers [like 9 / 10] who know not about sufficient packing and the horrble handling practices inherent to shipping companies. Most simply are not packed to withstand repeated 6 foot drops. Also, don't get me started on the UPS store morons. That UPS didn't shut them down is a miracle of its own. :rolleyes:

The one thing that I know of which minimizes chances of damage dramatically is to not only find a seller who agrees to your packing instructions but actually follows through with it [a tough one] and sends it via express or overnight with plenty of insurance.

There's an art and science to proper packaging of such a large & heavy item.

Either someone gets it, or they don't. Unfortunately, you never know the difference 'til the damage is done! It's safe to say that any unit of this type that's heavily damaged is irreplaceable, or a loss. :eek:

Maybe not stupid but rather the typical human reaction that "it doesn't apply to me" syndrome. ;)

No,...

stupid in that they'll put an 80 lb. recorder in a barely sized lite duty box with a few peanuts & call it a day! :eek: ;)

Hey, I know of an absolute perfect way to completely avoid shipping and have your pick of the best used machines out-there ......It's called CALIFORNIA! Right Dave? :D

A Reel Person said:
stupid in that they'll put an 80 lb. recorder in a barely sized lite duty box with a few peanuts & call it a day! :eek: ;)

Yup, that's a definite lack of intelligence right there. You're right! :eek:

I had a nice mint 38 shipped to me in a barely-sized lite duty box wrapped with...

rags. No, not even regular nice rags, but Goodwill reject t-shirts and clothing. :eek: ;) Try to guess how the 38 arrived looking? It was dropped on all sides, especially the bottom.:eek: ;)

Attachments

• Im000065c.jpg
    Im000065c.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Back