Our "Friend" tapeandtape is High Bidder for This Sticky-Shed Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beck

So look for it in his listings in the future and avoid it and him like the plague.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230418199399

How did I know it was tapeandtape since bidder IDs are disguised? I have magic powers, plus I checked the anonymous bidder's transaction count with tapeandtape's count... both 2835. Once you have that you can search bidder history since ebay uses the same disguise for a bidder. The one for tapeandtape is e***e. However, he was the first one I checked, so I’m still thinkin’ I have at least some magic analogue powers... probably from sniffing Ampex 456 all these years.

By the way, ALL 3M 226 has or will eventually succumb to sticky-shed syndrome. When 3M fixed the binder problem they changed the brand to 966 and later 986 (not to be confused with 996, which is their +9 stuff)

No doubt tapeandtape will be listing this crap as “exactly the same” as something or other… God knows what.

Be careful out there... here's wishing you a sticky-free year. ;)

As always Tim, you are on top of it and I know at least us guys really appreciate it. I think I'll just use what works for me, RMG LPR35 and SM911.;)

By the way, ALL 3M 226 has or will eventually succumb to sticky-shed syndrome.

What about 227? Same thing? I ask because I bought a 10" metal reel of it from a local electronics shop. I bought it for the reel but I'm curious about the tape.

What about 227? Same thing?

Yes, unfortunately... It's the 1-mil version of 226... same formulation, just thinner base.

You either have to use the later 3M 966/967 or go back before 226 to the 206/207. I love that stuff and have quite a bit of 207 around here for half-track mastering.

207 is in the +3 class, so it’s not quite as hot as 226, but it sounds great once you’re setup for it. 207 is in the same class as Quantegy 407 and Maxell XL 35-90B.

Quantegy 407 is probably my fav for mastering, but not by much. It all depends on the sort of music I’m working with.

I master to a humble, but highly modified (by me) Tascam 22-2, so all the ¼” reels I have are 7-inch. I have a bunch of Quantegy 457 and EMTEC 468 as well, so my biggest problem is deciding what to use for a given project.

:)

Can I ask what mods you have done?

I'm interested as well. I love my 22-2. A nice 32 would be great but I don't think you can get much more bang for the $ that a 22-2. I also like how compact it is and I can live with mastering on 7" reels.

So look for it in his listings in the future and avoid it and him like the plague.

FWIW, the guy does sell takeup reels. Maybe he's planning to dump the tape? I have no association with him, just putting it out there.

Not likely...we're not randomly bashing. Tapeandtape has quite a reputation based on consistently doing bad things and I expect he's going to do quite the opposite of dumping the tape selling the reels. Watch out.

Yeah guys, I need to put those mods up here soon. It's not too difficult... just involves changing out a couple op-amps and replacing some carbon resistors with metal film in the signal path. It reduces the self-noise by a couple dB and IMO sounds cleaner. I'll dig up my notes and start a new thread when things calm down around home... life is a bit hectic at the moment.

I am tapeandtape, and there's no way y'all can stop me! :D

YOU'RE DRUNK! :D

Last edited:
Not likely...we're not randomly bashing. Tapeandtape has quite a reputation based on consistently doing bad things and I expect he's going to do quite the opposite of dumping the tape selling the reels. Watch out.

Yep, I'm afraid you're right... and here's proof...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120509491543

And the guy still doesn't know bias from operating level, though I've tried to explain it to him. I've actually talked to him quite a bit in the past, trying to appeal to his better angels and get him to become legit. But he won't listen, so I had no choice but to put him on my shit list and warn my good friends here. Trust me, it was a last resort. I really try to get along with people best I can.

~ Tim

Must be a lot of suckers on junkbay because he has a 98.7% Positive feedback. I have read some of the nightmares in past threads and I now know the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back