Otari NAB hub quandary!

oldspeckledhen

Hi,

I have an Otari MX5050-MkIV 4-track (1/2" tape) that needs NAB adapters and I'm having great difficulty finding 'em. I've attached a pic of the reel shaft as it appears to be different from what the MX5050 series typically has. Tascam/Teac adapters will fit...but won't work for 1/2" tape.

Thanks for any help. I am new to these machines so it's conceivable I'm missing something obvious...:o

Attachments

• IMG_0356_2.jpg
    IMG_0356_2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 233
Likely you will have to find some Otari hubs, they are spring tensioned and I believe the same ones can be used for either 1/4" or 1/2" reels by adjusting the tension knob. Anyone else actually have a 1/2" Otari machine?

AK

Thanks, man.

I've attached a pic of an Otari Hub that works on most of their decks but won't work on mine as it has the "wing nut" style shaft. I've also got a Tascam Hub that IS for the "wing nut" style but the 1/2" version is too tall -i can't clamp it down.:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 211
...this is the Tascam/TEAC 1/2" hub i tried. Again, it fits on the reel shaft swimmingly...but when I lift the top part (of reel shaft) it doesn't clear the hub and I therefore can't turn it 30 degrees (or whatever) and clamp it down on the hub.

I also have a 1/4" version of the Tascam hub that DOES clamp down without issue. But then I'm unable to securely lock/clamp down on the take up reel. I've tried playing, FF, REW, with this and it DOES seem Ok...but I can't imagine it's an optimal solution? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 201
Yeah those are the same Otari Holders I have, so they don't work on 1/2"......... that is too bad. I will keep my eyes peeled for the larger ones, I am currently trying to buy a couple of decks and maybe there will be some extras in the pile.

AK

Very cool. Thanks.

In the meantime I think I've come up with a solution. I loosened the screw on top of the reel spindle and that allowed me to pull up the clamp portion high enough to clear the Hub. I then tightened the screw a bit to make certain it's secure. Haven't threaded up any tape but I think this may do the trick!

Back