Otari MX80 play/fast forward error

amigonews

Hi, after being cleaned (a few times), my Otari MX80 just goes into fast forward when play is pressed. We have checked all the possible sources for the error we could think of, but did not find anything. Has anybody had the same problem and might be able to suggest something? Or does anybody here know an Otari emplyee? Many thanks in advance.

Sounds like pinch roller issues. Possibly gotten hard over the years. Another source is the solenoid drive circuitry that presses the roller against the capstan.

Press play then push the pinch roller towards the capstan. What happens?

Hi, after being cleaned (a few times)....

What does that mean?
Just basic head/transport wipe with a alcohol swab....or something more involved, more internal...?

I can't for the life of me think how any basic daily head/transport cleaning would cause that. I clean my MX-80 every time I use it....never had that happen.

Was there any taking appart of boards/switches, the top panel...etc..etc. when you did this cleaning?
Do the two spring loaded rollers move freely when tape is on the machine?
Are any of the switches (either on the tape deck or the remote) stuck down?
If you don't press Play, but instead from a stoppped position do either FW or RW....do those work normally?
Are you seeing any error codes on the time display when powering up or when this problem happens?

Please explain in detail what you were doing to the machine AFA "cleaning" right before it started.

Back