Otari mx70 vs Tascam ms16

Talldog

Pain in the ass
I find myself in the happy situation of having both an ms16 that I've had for years and an mx70 that I will be picking up tomorrow. Both in well maintained condition. The sad situation is that I only have room for one. Is there anyone out there who could give me their opinion? The ms16 is from around 1985 and I'm pretty sure that the mx70 is early 1990s.

I know there are a lot of factors to consider. I have alot of experience with the ms 16 (15 ips, has noise reduction set up for 456) and none with the Otari mx70. I did use a few 24 track Otaris in the 80's but never owned one.

isn't it possible to install 1" 8 heads on the mx70?
I believe i read somewhere about the band Of Montreal doing that...

Talldog, saw the pics of the MX-70 internet last night on craigslist...really cool. Congrats again.

I was reading an article regarding typical response curves of different ATR's...the author didn't have any 1" 16-track Otari machines in the lineup, but a couple MX-80 2" 24-tracks and an MTR-90 2" deck as well as an MX-5050 1/2" 8-track, and of all of them he doesn't have bad things to say...you have probably seen this article...and not having bad things to say is actually very good considering some of the other machines in the lineup...Studer and Ampex and the like. The author also had kind things to say about the MS-16...referred to it as analogous to a faithful work-horse truck that just keeps going, and sounds pretty good especially at 15ips with +9 tape.

Interestingly enough most of the decks reviewed presented a clear advantage at 15ips vs. 30ips...the multitrack decks...because of where the lumps and bumps are in the response curve, and the fact that the curve, in general, moves up an octave at 30ips...depending on where the dropoff is at the low-end this can do terrible things to the low-end response at 30ips. This is not so for the half-track decks though...there are some unbelievable response curves in that arena.

Anyway, what am I trying to say? I can infer (based on the favorable comments of the MX-80 and MTR-90 decks which are part of MX-70 lineage) that the MX-70 and the MS-16 are, electronically, worthy adversaries and solid performers. This is definitely an IMHO deal, but I was thinking of you and this thread as I read the article and that is what I came away with after reading it. That doesn't help you necessarily, other than chalk one up to those that are in the "there isn't a clear-cut choice" camp.

I'm biased toward the Tascam decks...I'm very pleased with some of the MS-16 comments in the article because there is so much that the MS-16 and the 58 share electronically. However, I've always sort of, in my gut, considered the Otari decks more, well, professional :o. Maybe its because Tascam did and has done so much more production geared toward the entry-level market. Dunno. BUT...I believe there is greater support today for the Tascam deck both from the manufacturer and the user community, plus tried and tested mods to the MS-16. Pianodano loves his MS-16 for many reasons and among them how well it chase-locks...the transport is very responsive.

If it were me I'd probably be sticking with the Tascam simply out of familiarity, and long-range serviceability, plus it is a known solid performer both mechanically and electronically...honestly I don't think I've heard of a true achilles heel to the MS-16 except from the "if its not a Studer/Ampex/MCI deck its a toy" camp, or worse yet "the only true analog is 2"" idealists. I think the linked article supports my impression of the MS-16. Its a good deck. The MX-70 is still somewhat of an unknown commodity as far as this thread goes, and I haven't helped any! :rolleyes:

Anyway, keep us posted!;)

Prepare your drool cups

Here are the pics of the Otari and other stuff that I got for $400 yesterday. It has the manual, 12 channels (6 units) of never used dbx150x nr that I probably won't use either, 2 mrl tapes (deck runs at BOTH 15 ips and 30 ips), remote and wiring harness. As you can see it needs a pinch roller, it was so covered with sticky shed that it came off in my hand (nasty). You can see some of it on the top of the deck. I've found a few places that sell replacements but would love some recommendations.

Attachments

• DSC00138.jpg
    DSC00138.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 495
  • DSC00139.jpg
    DSC00139.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 431
  • DSC00140.jpg
    DSC00140.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 418
  • DSC00141.jpg
    DSC00141.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 421
Ditto on using Terry Witt - the guy is an artist with rubber!!

Damn, you can see the sticky shed on the heads too! Unit looks pretty good overall..... decisions, decisions!

AK

Wwwowwwwww!

Terrrrific deal for $400...unbelievable!

I see tremendous potential there with that deck...the heads look really good!

Are those tape guides fixed? :confused:

Guides look fixed to me but I'm no techie. You guys like read articles and stuff.......................Cory, Your stuff went out today via US mail. Let me know when you get it.

I ordered the roller from Terry. I had found him on my own but its great that I made the right decision. I think I used all of my good karma this week.

Oh yeah. More Karma using goodness. The deck came from the daughter of a studio owner who passed away. She was glad to sell it to such an analog geek (if you talk to my wife just geek will do). She also gave me one of the THREE 660 point patch bays that he hand made with switchcraft parts. far too big for my space but I couldn't say no............

Attachments

• DSC00142.jpg
    DSC00142.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 127
Well you gave enough out...I'd say you've still got some coming!

Thanks, Talldog!

I third the recommendation for Terry, though I have never used him, but based on his techniques and gear a pinch roller for my 58 would be more precise than a new stock item from Tascam.

I sent off a pinch roller for my lowly GX-230D (Akai) deck today. We'll see how he does! If it is as good as everyone says, I've got 6 rollers for my 3 RT-909 decks going his way.:p:D

I was told by cjacek, I think, that Terry could even faithfully recreate my 58 tach roller which is grooved. Wow.

Yup, Terry will do the tach / counter rollers too but he recommends keeping the bearings and the plastic incoder on the back side which is usually held by screws.

Talldog:

I'm speechless on your $400 deal! That machine is clean and the heads look outstanding! If the tape lifters and guides look that good all around and the heads have not been lapped, then this is a low, low use machine. Heck, it'd be a good deal at more than twice the price. Immensely jealous here. Great picts.

Seriously, talldog, keep BOTH machines. Believe me, you will regret it otherwise, if not now then in the future.

--

Back