Otari MX5050 8 track help needed

snipeguy

Andy Goldsworthy Wannabe
I just got an Otari MX5050 8 tack (thrown into a TEAC 3340 deal) and as I have NO experience with this machine I could use some advice. Firstly the transport will not engage. After powering up fine, the capstan motor runs fairly quietly. (Should I lube the Motor?) however nothing happens when I press any of the controls. Nothing, no click, NADA. The heads seem to be worn unevenly, more athe bottom than the top. Is this a re-lapping issue? Next problem, when send test tone to all the channels #2 will only show around -20db. The pinch roller has a couple of good bites out of it. As I have no tape yet I try to engage the machine by hold the idler arm up. Again, this machine was basically free. I'd love to get it up and running. I love the sound of my 3340 and this would be a sweet addition to my rig. Am I nuts.

Snipeguy

Hello!

First, the pinch roller will have to be replace, because any detent in the pinch roller will cause noticeable flutter.

Next, check the fuses and power sources, and while you're at it, check the solenoids.

Not having Otari experience, I'll go on record as saying the Tascam 38's solenoid have a flat rubber washer that can turn to goo, so that solenoid action is impeded. That's what I'm relating to, as I read your symptoms.

Any time the pinchwheel has a detent, it would indicate that other rubber parts may be shot, too. Think about it.

Good luck.

PS: Same thing if you experience similar problems on your 3440.;)

The pinch roller is going to Terry's Pinch Roller Hostpital. It's baked. Track 2 has mysteriously decided to work. I'll ask no questions and be grateful. But I haven't been able to find out why the transport won't engage. All the fuses are good; at least the ones I could find. I have no manual. The transformer is buried in the heart of the deck and I can't figure out how to get at it to check it. All the solenoids seem to be fine. They move freely and are very clean. I guess I won't know for sure until I can get it to engage. One clue: the LED counter does not light up when the machine is powered up.
Also on second inspection the capstan motor seems to be running slow. Isn't this supposed to be a 15 IPS/30 IPS unit? I'm gonna give it one more fix-it session and then it's going to 'my guy'. Any tips would be appreciated.

Snipeguy :confused:

And......

So what does this mean? Do I have to get to the transformer and see if its blown? I know that I'd be measuring for DC volts but what value am I looking for? Can the transformer be rebuilt if it is gone? Questions.....so many questions. So little info.

We have progress!

On Reels advice I checked the power supply and sure enough found three cracks in th cicuit board. I fixed them with automotive de-fogger grid repair goo. Also a doohickey that looked like a small frosted bulb with hairline cracks had a bad solder on one of the two connectors. Fixed that. Turned on the deck and presto. It engaged and the rewind and ff worked fine. Slight problem though. As I earlier suspected, the capstan motor is running very slow. Appears to be around 3.25 IPS. I could use some tips as to what the problem might be. Also the digital counter is now showing zeros but does not advance. We're getting there slowly fellas.

Yours in gratitude

Snipe

Are you sure? The capstan motor seemed to be a direct drive dealie. I'll check tomorrow. Long day. I'll keep ya posted. :rolleyes:

Fixed!!!!...almost.

Yippee! I got the deck running fine. It was a dirty vari-speed pot and also a dirty internal flapper switch. Now I just have to get the counter going.

Happy Snipeguy :) :) :)

That's really cool, man!

We knew you could do it!

[Get Smart voice]:Ah, the old dirty internal flapper switch trick! Missed it by |<that>| much!

Dun da daaaaaa dun, dun da daa, dun da daa.........

Wish I could say it was all my own idea but I had a tip from another forum. (John Klett). I'd love to have that car Max had. Man, I loved that show as a kid. I never got tired of watching those doors close. Boy, are we ever dating ourselves.

Happy Snipeguy :) :) :)

I Got One, Too

I picked up a used Otari MX-5050 MK III-8 recently. Looks like all is okay except it needs a new pinch roller. Do you know it Otari still stocks them or where I can get this one repaired?

Also, I got a MX-5050BII half track with the deal. It works fine except the FF
does not function and the REW is sluggish. Any ideas?

Thanx in advance

More problems...

Hi all, I'm trying to get a mtr-12II up and running. It was stated to be in excellent working condition, checked by a technician. It probably was. I am loading 1/2" tape, and it seems to play fine, but rewind and ff go very slow - slower than 1 sec for 1 sec. I am trying to rewind a whole 10.5" scratch roll. The reel control board is set propperly to the 1/2" setting... any ideas?
Patrick

juicebiz said:
I picked up a used Otari MX-5050 MK III-8 recently. Looks like all is okay except it needs a new pinch roller. Do you know it Otari still stocks them or where I can get this one repaired?

Also, I got a MX-5050BII half track with the deal. It works fine except the FF
does not function and the REW is sluggish. Any ideas?

Thanx in advance
Send your pinch roller to http://www.TerrysRubberRollers.com

Sounds like your tape might be suspect. Sticky Shed Syndrome. Have you tried it with a brand new reel of tape?

cuibono said:
Hi all, I'm trying to get a mtr-12II up and running. It was stated to be in excellent working condition, checked by a technician. It probably was. I am loading 1/2" tape, and it seems to play fine, but rewind and ff go very slow - slower than 1 sec for 1 sec. I am trying to rewind a whole 10.5" scratch roll. The reel control board is set propperly to the 1/2" setting... any ideas?
Patrick

Try it with a roll of fresh tape. If your tape is old, it might have Sticky Shed Syndrome.

thanks...

can i bake the tape to get rid of the stickyness? i dont think the tape is very old (3m 806)...I will try with a new roll.
Patrick

yep, youre right. new tape works great.thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah, baking is the answer for sticky tape. Ghost has a great post with all the info you need. You should be able to find it with a search.

Back