Otari MX 5050 hubs

superstupid

My Otari did not come with any hubs for the reels, just the metal pin that sticks out. Does anyone know of a source where I can get these?

superstupid said:
My Otari did not come with any hubs for the reels, just the metal pin that sticks out. Does anyone know of a source where I can get these?

You should be able to use Teac or Revox ones without any problem. I think there are people out there CNCing new metal Revox ones, but I can't give any details. You should be able to get the Teac ones easily enough.
Have you looked at tape resellers? StudioSpares in the UK sells them, but I don't know about suppliers in the US or elsewhere..

*EDIT* : They are called 'NAB adapters'. If you search for those online you should find a supplier.

For those looking for Otari NAB Reel Hubs - Used ones on Ebay can be anywhere from $100-$200 a pair USD. There is a seller that makes Revox Style beautiful Aluminum hubs for anywhere between $90-$125 /pr but out of the box they won't work with Otari MX5050 because of the smooth spindle lockdown requirement - BUT he also makes a very simple 2 piece rubber Otari Nab Hub adapter for $19.99/pr - it will work with any standard NAB reel hub used by other manufacturers - it basically is a reverse thread (Lefty - tighty, righty - loosy) small knurled locking "nut" for lack of a better term = it goes over the Revox style NAB Hub - after reel is mounted on reel deck, then Revox style NAB Hub twisted to reel lock position, then Otari NAB Reel hub adapter - to lock all to the spindle - works similar to the Otari Brand NAB reel hub adapter except instead of an expensive - somewhat overengineered one piece device that locks in place NAB Hub and locks hub to spindle - this is two pieces - your choice of NAB Reel Hub and this small spindle locking device - I would say the only downside is it's a bit hard to grip inside deep cup NAB Hubs and u have to remember that tightening is opposite direction since it is a reverse thread - if you overtighten it be be a bit difficult to loosen - if I were to re-engineer this I would have to forgo the round Knurled twist knob with maybe a simple cross design that is a bit easier to grip.

This guy makes Aluminum reels in many colors - both 7" and 10.5" NAB & IEC style in both sizes. NAB Hub Adapters also in many colors both anodized and painted Aluminum. I purchased the Burgundy NAB Hubs and the Otari Add-On locking adapters - works great for NAB 10.5" Reels and IEC 7" reels (just Otari add-on adapter for the 7" reels)

E-bay Seller is: tianstudio

Unfortunately I cannot post pictures or links yet - so u need to search Ebay for the seller name above or description "Add on NAB Hub adapters for Otari 5050 one pair" - once you get here then u can search his store for the NAB Hubs, Reels etc...

Chris

For those looking for Otari NAB Reel Hubs - Used ones on Ebay can be anywhere from $100-$200 a pair USD. There is a seller that makes Revox Style beautiful Aluminum hubs for anywhere between $90-$125 /pr but out of the box they won't work with Otari MX5050 because of the smooth spindle lockdown requirement - BUT he also makes a very simple 2 piece rubber Otari Nab Hub adapter for $19.99/pr - it will work with any standard NAB reel hub used by other manufacturers - it basically is a reverse thread (Lefty - tighty, righty - loosy) small knurled locking "nut" for lack of a better term = it goes over the Revox style NAB Hub - after reel is mounted on reel deck, then Revox style NAB Hub twisted to reel lock position, then Otari NAB Reel hub adapter - to lock all to the spindle - works similar to the Otari Brand NAB reel hub adapter except instead of an expensive - somewhat overengineered one piece device that locks in place NAB Hub and locks hub to spindle - this is two pieces - your choice of NAB Reel Hub and this small spindle locking device - I would say the only downside is it's a bit hard to grip inside deep cup NAB Hubs and u have to remember that tightening is opposite direction since it is a reverse thread - if you overtighten it be be a bit difficult to loosen - if I were to re-engineer this I would have to forgo the round Knurled twist knob with maybe a simple cross design that is a bit easier to grip.

This guy makes Aluminum reels in many colors - both 7" and 10.5" NAB & IEC style in both sizes. NAB Hub Adapters also in many colors both anodized and painted Aluminum. I purchased the Burgundy NAB Hubs and the Otari Add-On locking adapters - works great for NAB 10.5" Reels and IEC 7" reels (just Otari add-on adapter for the 7" reels)

E-bay Seller is: tianstudio

Unfortunately I cannot post pictures or links yet - so u need to search Ebay for the seller name above or description "Add on NAB Hub adapters for Otari 5050 one pair" - once you get here then u can search his store for the NAB Hubs, Reels etc...

Chris
Chris---the manual mentions an adjusting disc when using metal vs plastic reels. So no such thing needed with the above from titanstudio? Thanks in advance from a brand new r2r newb.

Back