Otari MX-5050 8-track, need channel card!

nraab807

I've got a recording project coming up and we're planning to use an Otari MX-5050 8-track, but channel 8 is having issues.

the channel has the record signal coming in at -10db at 400Hz. As I sweep the test signal up (15khz), the signal increases to 0db, so I'm thinking it's a bad cap. We tested just about everything in the signal path and couldn't find a bad connection or a bad cap. We swapped out one of the cards (channel 7) into channel 8 and it worked perfectly, so it's definitely just the card.

I’m willing to pay a premium for one if I can get it before October 9.

When you are referring to "-10dB" and "0dB" are you talking about as seen via the VU meter? Is that just when monitoring the input or off the record head?

Is it possibe that the eq is just over-tweakered?

You should be able (at great cost I am sure) to get a channel card directly from Otari; they still make teh 2-track version of your deck and AFAIK the cards are identical (just more of them!)

AK

You should be able (at great cost I am sure) to get a channel card directly from Otari; they still make teh 2-track version of your deck and AFAIK the cards are identical (just more of them!)

There were three revisions of the 5050-8, and I'm not convinced the electronics will be the same in all of them. The Mk2 and Mk3 are more likely to be interchangeable, but I'd be rather (pleasantly) surprised if the Mk1 cards are electronically compatible with the Mk3.

'Course, we don't know which version he has. If it's the Mk1, which had the amps and the transport in two separate modules, he might have trouble.

Back